Goldstar help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suki

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm newly registered here but have been reading the forum for some time. Thanks to all of you for such a valuable forum.

I've had Tokai strats since about 1985, and I currently have about 10. I've finally taken some time to dismantle, clean photograph and treat them to a proper fret dress and set up. Until now I have had no idea what kind of pickups or innards they had.

I have only just realised what the neck heel numbering means (matches to the body markings) so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I am currently dismantling a Goldstar and I have found that the markings are all correct but there are two differences:

1. The pickups are black bottomed (not with the ceramic bar). All of my other guitars seem to have The "U", "VI" or "VII" grey bottoms, or the ceramic ones on my ST40s. Does anyone know if these are original or anything about them? Here's the pic:
http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/user/sb-1969/media/IMG_1423_zps0c61f854.jpg.html

2. The tuners appear to be the Kluson type, look old enough to be original and don't look like they've been replaced. However, they don't have "deluxe" stamped on them - they just have the horizontal stripes going across. Are these original?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, so apologies - I just can't seem to find any threads on this.

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

Not sure exactly, but the logo type is post-1983 (script, not spaghetti) and the neckplate number is 6 digit (numbers only, no letter prefix). I'm guessing it must be '84 or '85.

Hi Suki, since I'm only an occasional poster here this might sound presumptuous, but anyway: welcome!

I can't help with your specific enquiry, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see some pics of your Goldies.

Hi Del,

Indeed - I've been photographing the innards but need to get round to doing some more professional shots of the cleaned-up guitars. I'll be getting round to that soon I promise!

S

Hi Suki, where are u posting from - nothing on your. Profile. Plain tuners are legit. There was another recent post on here with black bottom pick ups = dimarzio?? Welcome , more photos please!

Hey Ian, I've updated my profile - I'm posting from London. Thanks for posting back on the plain tuners - I've decided to keep them now, even though one of them is on it's last legs. If they weren't original I would have changed them again.

Thanks for the info on the Dimarzios - I had heard suggestions of what they may be, but I'm glad to hear it from the experts - I found the recent post and it seems this might make the guitar an ST 80 from Gabe's post.

Great book by the way!

Cheers, looks nice. If it is an st80 it normally has a brass screening plate on the electrics so I would let the other guys with higher spec Tokais comment. I only have 40s, 50s and 55s.

I think you have a 90s Goldie with Di Marzio pick ups.
Six digit serial number lack of brass plate and plastic as opposed to metal 5 position switch leads me to this conclusion.
If it is nitro finished then it`s an st 80. the other possibility is that it`s a 90s goldie with retro fitted di marzios.Gabe.

Hi Suki,
The body has a very distinct ash grain, so anything under ST-70 seems unlikely. 6 digit number is meant to show a replica of 1965 - 71 Fender but these models have a laminated maple fingerboard onto maple neck whereas pre-59 have 1 piece neck. Check along side position buttons for a seam.
regards
Peter Mac

Hi Pete I think the number of digits system had been abandoned by the time we get to late 80s/90 Goldies.I have come across both maple and rosewood models with 6 digits.Heres a post 84 model on E bay U.K. for example.Gabe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tokai-stratocaster-vintage-guitar-/251233919754?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_

Thanks Pete and Gabe. There is no seam, so it's a one piece neck.

So I'm assuming the 90's ST 50+ models didn't have brass plates? If so then Gabe's conclusion seems the most credible.

Suki

Thanks Pete and Gabe. There is no seam, so it's a one piece neck.

So I'm assuming the 90's ST 50+ models didn't have brass plates? If so then Gabe's conclusion seems the most credible.

Suki

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19386
check out this thread.
incredible, i'm coming back as a chick next time :-?
the highest model number i got this same guitar up to was a 50 !!
even pete mac thought it was a 40.
done up like a kipper. :(

Lol Jonah - thanks for that!

For those of you wondering what happened, this is EXACTLY the same guitar. I bought it from Jonah off ebay!

The logo was definitely a script goldstar one, and was all but rubbed off.

I reinstated it with a new decal without the need for any lacquer work.

no probs suki, i knew there was something special about that guitar when
i originally saw it on e-bay, and when i saw those black bottom pickups,
which i maintain look to be original, i thought it too was probably a higher
model number. it's a great sounding guitar, but gas got the better of me,
and i bought a f****r 52ri hotrod tele, so something had to go.
still my loss is hopefully your gain.
all the best, jonah.
(ps if it is an 80, i want half the profit :lol: )

Back