Gotoh mk-II Pickups?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solone

Reaction score
I posted a couple of days ago that I had just purchased a new LS-70 model in dark cherryburst. My main concern are the pickups, since I play with a 15Watt custom amp at full volume most of the time and I keep hearing that the Gotoh Mk-II pups are a tad microphonic. I normally used seymour duncans in my previous guitars and to a lesser degree dimarzios, but can't I just wax the stock pickups? I cut my collection down considerably and this with more than likely be my main player, so my concerns are somewhat justified. Any thoughts?

Do they squeal in your guitar with your amp? If yes, then waxing is a good idea if you like the tone of that combination. Mine from a 1984 LS 60 do not squeal (with covers, not waxed) even at high volumes with a Fender Bassman head and Marshall cab, but there were different versions of Gotoh pickups during the '80s and '90s.

I haven't even gotten the guitar yet. I'm still planning for the eventual worse case scenerio. As the ls-70 is a new model, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the new mk-II pups. I know I might sound a tad obsessive, but I really wanted a Tokai and I've had alot of problems buying vintage guitars, so I went for a new one. The pickups are of concern to me, b/c I actually make use of every volume and tone knob to get that out of phase tone like Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac. I'd be in heaven if a pup change didn't have to happen, but I do like the sound of a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

Solone said:
As the ls-70 is a new model, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the new mk-II pups.
Today the brand new Love Rock II model (SEB technology) arrived that togps has send me for a review. He wrote that the pickups would be Gotoh PAF-Vintage MK2, but after playing it for a while I took out my ohm meter which says 11.6 kOhm for the bridge pickup (too much for a vintage PAF copy) and 7.6 kOhm at the neck (which is OK). Anyhow, I'll test it with my Bassman in a few hours in our rehearsal room, then I can tell you if they squeal or not.

The pickups are of concern to me, b/c I actually make use of every volume and tone knob to get that out of phase tone like Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac.
For that Peter Green effect (which he didn't use very often) you either have to install an extra switch (or a push/pull pot like the Love Rock II) or turn one magnet 180? in the pickup. But you probably know this already... ;)

my 04 ls85quilttop came waxed but i still never liked them so changed to duncan 59s big difference

togps said:
In the LS70 and LS75 are PAF-Vitage MK3.
H.-J. following the current catalog, which I added to the LRII
Yes, I've looked into it in the meantime. By the way, can I keep it? :wink: And the Love Rock II isn't mentioned in this 2003/2004 catalogue yet, probably because it came out after that?

Concerning the pickups in the Love Rock II I can say that they don't make any noises with my amp at high volumes. But I wonder if the high resistance on the bridge pickup is really a feature of the MK2 version?

Solone: the newer PAF Mk2's are wax-potted. Yours (a 2002 by the looks of it) will probably be potted as well. They are decent pickups (especially the neck isn't half bad), but replacing them with something better can truly be worthwhile.

New MK-II "Reborn" pickups are voiced to be like old Tokai PAFs in a LS-80.

I just got the guitar today and wow, I'm a true convert now! The guitar I guess is actually called an NLS-70 and was manufactured in 2002 for the North American market. It was still brand new with no signs of demo use, so I'm happy. The pups sound great, so I have nothing to worry about. I'm suprised as to how light it is compare to most Gibson's. I couldn't be happier! It was everything I was hoping for! Thanks Guys!

Send pix, and congrats... ;)

Does it look like the one on the upper right side of this page?

http://www2.wbs.ne.jp/~tokai/loverock.htm

Latest posts

Back