ST40 How it should look

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmad70

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just getting around to this, but it may be of help to some, hope the link works but im pretty hopless at this linking stuff

This is the complete assemply from my beloved ST40, completely period correct as I bought it in 84' and have owned it since. Sadly I removed the made in Japan and 40 stickers in the eighties due to the stigma and the guitar now runs on Jeff Beck noisless with TBX tone.

But the important thing is, and what still amazes me is the quality and neatness of the wiring on what was their most basic strat.

Mine has a fantastic flat D shaped neck, which was great for playability but the combination of me playing it to death & soft frets meant a twisted neck, ive now refreted and had the twist sanded out and its back to its perfect best.

Other key features are the 5 sided tuners, these are seen by some as inferior but if you persevere and strip them and get some Vaseline in the gear they are easily as good as the delux versions on my ST50.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4a8nu2gecpczx8g/4JBlCftT-I

Hi, there was a thread not long ago about another member's ST40, which led to some discussion as to whether genuine ST40 machine-heads were six-sided or five-sided. The matter was never resolved, but as I mention in that thread I have an ST40 which, like yours, features the five-sided variety.

The thread is here: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=161619&highlight=#161619

check out the "TOKAI FORUM MEMBERS GUITAR COLLECTION VOL. 1 "
pages 25 and 30 both st 40's have the 6 sided tuners. the st 40 i used to own bought from a fellow forumite had 6 sided tuners.
if this guitar was purchased in 1984 and had 5 sided tuners, like a lot of
' st 40's ' cropping up at the moment, then it is a mystery.
are you sure you got the guitar in 1984, and not a year or two later guitarmad70 ?

Absolutely certain about the timeline, I bought the guitar 6 months old in September 1984, sold a CBS strat for it!

I looked at the other post Del and the tuners look very similar, I'll take some new pics and post on here for reference.

As I mentioned my ST40 has all its original bits, hence the pickup pictures, I need to Post some shots of my ST50 as I bought that more recently and it has a number of odities!

Latest posts

Back