New to Tokai: Love Rock Custom advice needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerogriff

Reaction score
I used to own a Gibson Les Paul Custom in white. I sold it and am looking to replace it with the Tokai equivalent.

Which one do I want?

Do they play as easy as their Gibson counterparts and have the same fretboard wood and inlays?

I've found the block inlays and fretboards on Gibson LP Customs are really smooth and make for great guitars to solo on. Are the Tokai Customs the same way?

Are there any places online I can straight up buy one for $700 to $1000? Or is this something I'll have to wait a couple months to see pop up on a forum or eBay?

I don't mind one with a black finish, but white is preferred and maybe one that's been broken in.

I see Tokai Customs on eBay new for $499. On forums I'm seeing some for a grand. Are the new $499 ones inferior to ones made in the 1980's?

I'm after the most accurate Les Paul Custom copy for $1000.

Let me know your experience. I'm excited about getting a Tokai and want to make sure I get one of the good ones, as this will be for recording.

A new one made in Japan LC98S will be around the 1K mark but they will go on eBay at less than half the price second hand. Fabulous guitars and I have a white one that I stripped the paint of the front and back. Owned and played many great Gibsons and I would put this guitar up against any of them.

The neck on these is fabulous as is the finish, if mine was lost or stolen I wouldn't hesitate in getting another one. Best kept secret in the guitar world I think and an absolute steal at anything around the 500 mark or less.

Here's mine

RefinTokaiLC98S49-1.jpg

Back