Of all the greatest MIJ Les Paul's, which ones have

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grooooved

Reaction score
1. The fattest Necks?

2. AND how about fat v-neck Les Pauls? (this is what I'm looking for)

3. Is there any consistency with fat necks?

Thanks much................there doesn't seem to be any consolidated info on this point.

I'd be interested in knowing this, too! I just played a '90 Tokai (not sure of the model) today and thought it was really well put together. It had a laminated top but so be it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the teeny neck - pretty much identical to my '79 LP Deluxe.

I'm still grooving on the fat neck on my Tokai Jr.! I wish I'd known about the difference in neck types years ago. The fat necks are so much nicer for bending and big, wide vibrato in my opinion.

Jim

I used to own a 2001 Love Rock (LS70F VF) which had a rather thick neck. Can't give any dimensions cos I don't have the means to measure neck thickness.

I still own (and will continue to do so) a 1999 LS70F (IB) which has a comparitively slim neck.

I recently tried a 2004 G****n LP, with a '50's neck, which felt like my Love Rock's.

Someone tried to do a survey of Love Rock neck thickness, but it kind of died in the water if I remember rightly.

Hmmm, I've never heard or read of nor played a fat V-neck on a Les Paul. The different shapes are usually described either as a C or D, i.e. concerning their "roundness". Typical fat V-necks are found on old Telecasters, probably on Tokai copies as well.

As for the thickness it might help to look into the catalogues where Tokai sometimes uses the terms "'58 model" and "'59 model" to describe these Les Paul variants (but never "'60 model"). As far as I know, the higher priced models are usually the "'59" ones, at least in the early to mid '80s. For example my 1981 LS 120 has a much thinner neck than my 1984 LS 60 (and the other two LS 60s that I compared them to), so I would rather describe it as a '60 neck. But probably this doesn't mean that all LS 120 and above from that era have the same neck shape and thickness. :wink: So to half-way answer your question: the biggest necks on Tokais are probably the ones called "'58 models".

It's also important if the frets have binding and what finish the guitar has (nitro or poly lacquer), because this will give a different feel to your hands how smooth the neck is and how "fast" you can play on it. Fret size and height also play a part in this, e.g. when bending the strings or vibrating a note. This might also be different on the Les Paul Custom models where some were called "fretless wonders" back then, because their frets were very flat in comparison to the Standard versions.

Tokais had got fatest necks in japanese guitars I'd tried.But there can be specific models from other brands with them.But Tokai necks are not so thick as Gibsons 50's and Historic '57 I tried,they are rounded more suitable for small hands.They are the most comfortable hands down for me.Burnys LC-60 and 80 were nearly slim taper,Greco EG-800 was more as a D size and Orville by Gibson 335's was so thin I did not liked at all....

I had an Orville 59RI plaintop with a pretty big neck. I've never owned an MIJ Lp with a really big neck-- like a Gibson R7-- Most of the MIJ's I've owned were about a LP std 50's neck. I have an Orville by Gibson black custom RI now that has a pretty big neck.

Latest posts

Back