suggestion for a type of Grover tuners on a Tokai 1979 ls80?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankajoerg

Reaction score
Hi!

has anyone here installed Grover tuners on a Tokai LS80 les paul reborn?

I want to put Grover tuners on it but unsure on what kind of Grover would fit the best.

any tips would be appriciated:)

here is a pic of my guitars neck:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankajoerg/7545577554/in/photostream

Frank

You need to drill to make Grover tuners fit. They require a 10mm hole.

Why do you want to have Grover tuners ? I think there are enough quality aftermarket parts available that are a direct replacement.

Replaced tuners aren?t the worst thing in the world but I?d think twice before putting a drill bit on such a valuable instrument.

Len said:
You need to drill to make Grover tuners fit. They require a 10mm hole.

Why do you want to have Grover tuners ? I think there are enough quality aftermarket parts available that are a direct replacement.

Replaced tuners aren?t the worst thing in the world but I?d think twice before putting a drill bit on such a valuable instrument.

hi and thanks for your reply!
I want to put Grover tuners on it because Grover has the most stable and reliable tuners out there, no?

I just want the best tuners for this baby but of course I dont want to drill if I dont need to but what kind of tuners would be the best replacement if not considering Grovers?

Diamond said:
Why do you want to put Grovers on it?

I suspect the tuners that are original might not be the best ones out there..

If someone can recommend another tuner kit that will do the job properly without drilling Im more than happy to hear about it:)

I?d try Schaller ST6B or Gotoh SD90 ... these should be a direct fit. Try to install them without changing the original bushings first. You can still remove wood and put Grovers in if you?re not content after that :)

Len said:
I?d try Schaller ST6B or Gotoh SD90 ... these should be a direct fit. Try to install them without changing the original bushings first. You can still remove wood and put Grovers in if you?re not content after that :)

thanks, I will check them out as I havent heard of them:)

The gotoh SD90's would be closest to the originals I think.

Whatever happens, make sure you keep the original tuners safe. That's a 'vintage' guitar now and will retain more value with its factory hardware.

What sort of trouble are you having with your current tuners? Have you checked that the problem isn't the nut or your restringing technique?

Paladin2019 said:
The gotoh SD90's would be closest to the originals I think.

Whatever happens, make sure you keep the original tuners safe. That's a 'vintage' guitar now and will retain more value with its factory hardware.

What sort of trouble are you having with your current tuners? Have you checked that the problem isn't the nut or your restringing technique?

Just wanted to upgrade it all when I got started with the RS kit, the Faber hardware and then eventually the tuners.

Havent had severe problems, might be going out of tune more often than on my other guitars but could be the nut as well.

Dont know what is original nut for the LS80/100s, anyone who knows this?

might change that too while im at it:)

frankajoerg said:

No need. I suspect the tuners are just fine, in which case all you would need is a professional technician to shape the existing nut slots, and Bingo - instant tuning stability without any unnecessary modification.

Paladin2019 said:
frankajoerg said:

No need. I suspect the tuners are just fine, in which case all you would need is a professional technician to shape the existing nut slots, and Bingo - instant tuning stability without any unnecessary modification.

+ 1

Whatever you do,do NOT drill!
Ever.

Always ream.

99% of tuning instability is the nut. Not the machine heads.

hi, yes will ream it for sure.

I wont do this myself, but a pro tech will do all of this.

I tried to sell this baby here in Norway earlier but clearly Norwegians are spoiled and only care for Gibsons so it looks like I will keep it for ever!

and I dont mind:)

thats why Im not so concerned about the guitar loosing its value if reamed and modified. Its a great guitar and a rare one even though its a LS80 stamped neck and a LS100 stamped body and considered as the lower high end models, its still amazing!

So this will be a keeper for me and thats why Im gonna try to upgrade it to its best potential.

Dont know what nut is in it originally, but I ll let the tech look into that as well.

thanks for advices and I will go for short shaft version of the kit instead of the long shaft.

frankajoerg said:
I wont do this myself, but a pro tech will do all of this.

This is no guarantee of quality work. Make sure to ask how the job will be done before leaving the guitar.

Do you really need Grovers? If your Kluson style tuners have too much lash find another set that will fit without changes. There are even locking Klusons available if you think this is what you need.

But tuners are rarely defective.

**** it, the low e tuner head broke so i definetely need a new set now.

I ordered the GOTOH SD90MG-SL tuners, hope that will be a great fit!

By the way, does anyone know what the nut on ls80/100 are made of? Is it bone? Hard to tell by looking at it...

Back