LS 75 Relic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajh

Reaction score
Hi just bought 2002 LS75F Relic- below is the description seller had on listing -picking up tomorrow. Anyone any info on these- supposed limited edition made in 2002 and 2003, read one review that said they were actually built up in UK using wilkinson p/ups? (kind of hope not as i think Tokai mk 2 pick ups are awesome) not worried if it`s not hugely rare- I`ve had 2 LS80s in the past which were just brilliant pretty sure this is just earlier version. Just curious really .

TOKAI LES PAUL LOVE ROCK RELIC MODEL

These guitars have been specifically built for the uk market ,with a total of only 12 beig built in 2002 and only a similar amount in 2003.

They are all LS75F models .
A solid maple top.
Cellulose nitro laquer finish
The price when new was ?1200.
Made in Japan.
This guitar sounds and plays like a dream. in comparrison to my mates les paul vos custom shop there was not a lot of difference . This guitar will sound and play much better than the standard Les Paul in my opinion .

The guitar is in very good condition .
Fifties style fat neck.
Great relic body
Comes with a beautiful tweed effect hard case .
Fantastic guitar ,a great buy .

not sure if thisll work as listing ended

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-les-paul-love-rock-relic-/140891942790?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=NEdMIXUNsMFD7NdzJJGon%2FryuXY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Well, i don't live in the U.K. so maybe someone from there will chime in with more knowledge.... from the pictures it does indeed look like a made for U.K. model MIJ. Solid maple cap with veneer on top i think at the LS-75 range. If it's a special order anything is possible, i've never heard of Tokai putting out any relics though.

I remember seeing a few of these new when I bought my ls70 in 2005. They were special order uk, but have no idea what the numbers were, they seemed to crop up in quite a few places so I suspect that numbers may have increased a little. Price was around ?1200 iirc.

Sorry can't be more specific as I didn't take too much notice of them at the time.

Played one virtually identical to yours when they came out in 2002/2003.

I think 24 were made (2 batches of 12) selling for ?1200 each - exclusive to the UK market. The distributor ordered unfinished LS75F's and had them made up at some place in Sheffield IIRC.

Some of the auction info is slightly misleading - the top is maple, but the flame effect is a veneer, just like any other LS75F.

I'm not sure about the finish. It was unusual, but I can't remember if it was cellulose.

All versions came with Wilkinson hardware and electronics. Some had Wilkinson pickups, and some had boutique Haussel (sp?) pickups made in Germany. The only way to tell would be to check the undersides, but I think yours is a first batch version with the Wilkos going by the date (2002) and the heavy corrosion on the tailpiece.

Do a forum search for love rock relic and there's a lot of info there from the time.

What's with the bridge posts having the flat head screwdriver slot on top?
Can't see the truss rod cover in the pics either...

Guitar looks good though - I quite like relics.

The screw downs on the bridge posts could be for a locking bridge like Fabers:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?232375-Faber-Tone-Lock-ABR-1-installed

JVsearch said:
What's with the bridge posts having the flat head screwdriver slot on top?
Can't see the truss rod cover in the pics either...

It's a Wilkinson bridge, not a Gotoh. I can't remember if it's screwed in direct to the body or not.

The truss rod cover on the one I saw had only one screw hole. The cover itself was completely black, no white outline.

any ideas on what the wilinson pick ups were like_ I personally love mk2 pick ups, I have the original pick ups from my LS1000 ( I put a set of bull dogs in that -juries still out on those) which i could drop in-don`t think they are mk2s but were pretty nice all the same.

Latest posts

Back