ES-100 1981

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezra1

Reaction score
A friend is strongly considering buying my OBG 335 1991....I am thinking about replacing it with a 1981 Tokai ES-100.......would this be an equal replacement or a step up for me?

The 1981 ES100 (is it an R or J?) is the first year issue for the Tokai ES models and widely regarded as the benchmark year for them. There was also an ES150 issued that year.

The R was the "rock" model and the J was the "jazz" model - only difference being that they had different pickups with the rock model being a tad hotter.

Spot on to a 59 Gibson ES335 in every way... truly a superb guitar. Personally, I'd consider it a step up over the 91 OBG.... but I'm partial because I have an 81 ES100 too...

From the 81 catalog:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p8.jpg

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/81cat_p9.jpg

ezra1 - Did you make this deal? I'm interested in your impression of the Tokai.

I just purchased a 1981 Tokai ES-150R, I'm anxiously awaiting delivery from Japan then a long-term comparison to my 1980 Greco SA-1200.

I had an Orville by Gibson and a 2005 ES-120 and I like ES-120 hands down.
I am thinking about a ES-100/150 to get too Ezra or a Greco SA-1200.

Hi guys,

The ES-100 would be the better option. It has 10 years on the OBG and was built prior to Japan signing the CITES treaty about wood species - meaning it was made with better woods to begin with.
You can always outfit the hardware and pickups on a guitar but never the wood.

In 1981-84 they also made the ES-200 (order only) which used AAA flame maple top, back and sides and 1 piece Honduras mahogany neck. The binding had abalone set into it, similar to the TE-120.
In 27 years of Tokai interest, I have never seen one.

regards
Peter Mac

My 1981 ES-100 is such a great guitar. I have been searching for one for a long time in this colour and found it this year. I can't imagine that a 150 or 200 would sound better :)
Thought the ES-200 was introduced in 1982, will the 200 also have an ebony board like the 150 Peter? Or is it just the special fretboard inlays?

Hi Jacco,

You are correct, the ES-200 did have an ebony fingerboard but with the 'Hearts and Flowers' inlay. 1981 MY82 was first release.

The '81 ES-100 TR you have pictured is one of the most beautiful I have seen. I do prefer the faded red to the glossy and the tarnished hardware just caps an otherwise exquisite guitar. I reackon an original '58 ES-335 would have a hard time trying to keep up with yours.

regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

The ES-100 would be the better option. It has 10 years on the OBG and was built prior to Japan signing the CITES treaty about wood species - meaning it was made with better woods to begin with.
You can always outfit the hardware and pickups on a guitar but never the wood.

In 1981-84 they also made the ES-200 (order only) which used AAA flame maple top, back and sides and 1 piece Honduras mahogany neck. The binding had abalone set into it, similar to the TE-120.
In 27 years of Tokai interest, I have never seen one.

regards
Peter Mac

neither have I nor a picture even!!

OK,OK, let me clarity...
whilst I have seen catalogue pics, I have never actually seen one in real life, nor met anyone who has owned one.

Peter Mac

What a beauty!! How much do these guitars usually go for?

Jacco, you'll have to let me borrow this guitar, you have plenty others :wink:

Back