Uncertain about my Burny...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: So this Wizard wants to sell you a new bridge? What a load of Crap! Refund and then get a Tokai from a reputable individual. It's a shame the way some people do buisness. Guitar Center is now trying to sell stuff on EBay at "INFLATED PRICES" ...68' Pelham Blue Melody Maker 1, bidding starts at $1400?! We should just deal amongst ourselves! God I hate GC! Much Love,TG

tokaiguy said:
:eek: I don't know what it is, but I know what it isn't...MIJ! Get a refund! TG 8)

Why are you so sure? From other people I hear it is very, very difficult to date a Burny...? There have been made countless models over the years, at different factories..? Shouldn't surprise any if some trussrod covers were different etc at some stage? Or?

And this LPS model numbering, isn't that a Tokai prefix, actually? I've just seen RLG etc., and now I hear FLG, for Burnys.

tokaiguy said:
:lol: So this Wizard wants to sell you a new bridge? What a load of Crap! Refund and then get a Tokai from a reputable individual. It's a shame the way some people do buisness. Guitar Center is now trying to sell stuff on EBay at "INFLATED PRICES" ...68' Pelham Blue Melody Maker 1, bidding starts at $1400?! We should just deal amongst ourselves! God I hate GC! Much Love,TG

He didn't offer me a bridge, just suggested that as a way of fixing that problem...

:eek: The TRC, the cream plastic, the fact that there is no wood where the rod comes out of the neck, no seriel #, the photo flame top...Don't get me wrong, if you like it fine! Just know you got taken! There are many fine Korean guitars I have a Korean made SG that I prefer to my MIJ. You shouldn't be dealing with the uncertanty, the intonation problems ,dead spots on a new instrument that you paid good money for! He sold you on the fact that it is something it isn't, if your'e OK with that ...then so am I But I don't think you sound satisfied with the end product. :wink: TG

tokaiguy said:
:eek: The TRC, the cream plastic, the fact that there is no wood where the rod comes out of the neck, no seriel #, the photo flame top...Don't get me wrong, if you like it fine! Just know you got taken! There are many fine Korean guitars I have a Korean made SG that I prefer to my MIJ. You shouldn't be dealing with the uncertanty, the intonation problems ,dead spots on a new instrument that you paid good money for! He sold you on the fact that it is something it isn't, if your'e OK with that ...then so am I But I don't think you sound satisfied with the end product. :wink: TG

No, I'm not OK about being fooled into buying something that isn't what it should be... but the photo flame, you think it is? I didn't think it was, but who am I to tell, that's why I ask... aren't the photo flames usually a bit, uhm, more? Not this discrete (not sure what word to use... this isn't the most figured maple I've seen, although pretty symmetrical).

... :-|

:eek: You have not been dealt with in a way that you feel confident, it is your right to feel great about this purchase! All I'm saying is If you have any misgivings they are probably Right! Trust Yourself, you deserve peace of mind! :wink: I'm just a Texas Boy and I like a fair deal , a win/win... but I don't take any Bullsh*t. Good Luck , I hope this all works out! :wink: TG

Thanks. By the way, the seller corrected his model numbering to RLG-55F(s?)... (after I asked if not LPS actually is a Tokai way of numbering).

I might tend to think the same way tokaiguy do... :-?
If you arrive to the conclusion that it's not a MIJ, You should claim for money back.

And now I found a serial in the bridge pickup cavity:
F9812018.

Does that tell us anything?

heres a link to a Yahoo japan auction. t`s a 1970s Burny LP jr with the same truss rod cover that appears in my late 90s catalogs.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e48849407

sneakyjapan said:
heres a link to a Yahoo japan auction. t`s a 1970s Burny LP jr with the same truss rod cover that appears in my late 90s catalogs.

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e48849407

Hm. That trussrodcover is actually similar to the one on my Burny SG, which I actually think is more authentic than this (funny how we discuss the authenticity of replica guitars :)). However, that trc has an edge below the two lower screws and no ridge as my LP has...

Do you have any info on guitars that looks like mine in the catalogue? If my suspicions are right, the serial number F9812018 indicates that this is a '98...

there are many Japanese makers who do use the serial number to date their guitars... my guess is the same, it`s a 1998.
But there are no SG models in my 1997 and 1999 catalogs... none... I had a 1998 but lost it. So, I don`t see anything that looks like yours in my catalogs.

heres another on Yahoo Japan...

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e48948789

sneakyjapan said:
there are many Japanese makers who do use the serial number to date their guitars... my guess is the same, it`s a 1998.
But there are no SG models in my 1997 and 1999 catalogs... none... I had a 1998 but lost it. So, I don`t see anything that looks like yours in my catalogs.

Oh, no, I was only thinking of the LP...

oh sorry.....brain fart...I`ll have a look on Yahoo Japan tomorrow for Les Pauls. Gonna play for a while before going to bed.

Hm, if you look at the images, that's a bit long neck tenon for a Korea model as far as I have heard...?

Latest posts

Back