My # 1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mono said:
sorry man but as I said, it's not for sale at the moment and if I do decide to part with it, jamest has first dibs and I don't think he's going to miss the opportunity :)

quite a looker though eh?

5289134624_e6fbd96e67_b.jpg

Mono tell this guitar to stop looking at the Phantom! ****.............

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who owns this guitar?
and who's owned it
Wulf?
What's it like
never seen a top like that

I don't know the name but someone from the UK picked it up off of Andy. I only sold it to Andy in the first place after he found this gem of a solid-top Greco on Yahoo Auction and decided not to bid on it and left it for me.

Love the Grecos. The one Andy had was a heavyweight but a real mojo machine. The fretboard had lots of wear and it looked to have been refretted so someone played the crap out of it before I got it.

First couple: 2005 Tokai LS150, 50's wiring, PIO caps, JSmoore Black widow bridge, V-59 neck

Second couple: 1980 LS80, 50's wiring, PIO caps, DRY Z matched pair (1980)

:D

Phantom, the Grecos weigh 4.9 kg for the one that is in the UK and 4 kg for the one still with me.

Nice pair there Bluesyrat!

Thanks Wulf, woo that UK one is heavy!

Bluesyrat which tone do you prefer out of the two? Never had the chasnce to play a newer Tokai.

@marcus: :lol:

@wulf: Thanks! Very kind...

@phantom:
Well, i try to tell what is the difference between them saying first of all that ? in terms of vintage les paul sound ? my references are a lot of you tube video not a direct experience. I heard directly live only a ?57 les paul with paf?s.
That said, the ls80 with dry Z has a very rich, harmonic, full tone. It has a great vibration and even unplugged you can clearly hear all the range of frequencies. Through the amp, on the clean side the guitar has a fantastic vibe and is responsive at any type of touch; great snap, great woody and warm tone with clarity and richness. On the crunch/overdriven/distorted side I?m always stunned when I realize the clarity of chords, with every string audible. When you bend a tone or a tone and half my feel is that notes are ?in? my fingers and it?s fantastic to listen overtones ?rocketing? from the amp? to me is the closest guitar to the real thing?

The ls150 is a well build guitar, a very good guitar but it?s a bit different; there?s some lack? I love its neck, fatter a little than the ls80 (on the ?58 side both) but unplugged you immediately feel less vibration. This guitar is more brilliant and a bit mid scooped, so the overall tone is beautiful but it has to be compensated with pick ups. And I was very lucky to buy it with that set. In fact if the neck p. u. is a paf clone and you have a very good tone, a bit modern because the own guitar/wood tone, the bridge p.u. give you an attractive sound, both clean or distorted. It has an Alnico 8 magnet and 15 k resistance but it marries perfectly the unplugged vibe. Anyway we're talking about a great les paul.
Hope I reached a sort of explanation?
:roll:

Awesome review Bluesyrat.
Kind of what my guess would have been.
I have also noticed there have been variances between LS80's.
Im still on the search for the right one.
Thanks again for the detailed review.

Phantom

As promised some time back - here's the 'new' 1964 SG Junior I swapped for a painting last February. Got back to UK in July and since getting rid of the 'Vibrola' and having it set up by the amazing Martin Booth I haven't put it down. Quite simply, a truly fantastic guitar - despite being gnawed by the previous owners dog!!

Also, note the playing wear on the top corner of the pickup cover.

imgp6966.jpg

imgp6971p.jpg

imgp6974.jpg

This one doesn't really out-shine my other '64 featured below. It's a bit heavier and it never goes out of tune ever!!. Both play very similarly - very smooth and silky. The dog-bitten one sounds a bit louder too. I love 'em both.

imgp4281.jpg

Back