Dogs dinner to Dogs bollocks?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iainblack

Reaction score
I have been surfing Gumtree recently and bagged a few bargins - MIM strat for 165 pounds. So I saw a gold Squier on there with a rail humbucker in the bridge position and the original pick up. So I got it delivered for 60 pounds. Arrived in excellent packaging but that when the fun begins:

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

Waterslide f*nder logo too big, the chap had laquered the rosewood fingerboard (note the shine on the neck in the photo).
The gold paint job is pretty poor and looks to be eating into the original metallic blue finish.
The neck is a chinese Squire but the body is something different - look at the next set of photos to see if anyone recognises the route pattern.
The scratchplate had been sprayed black and warped in the process.
The plastic neck plate seat had warped with contact with the spraypaint.
None of the screws were original, many slot heads!!!!!

Now dont laugh, it gets worse before it gets better. I took the scratchplate off and nearly puked!

DSC01146.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

The wiring was like spaghetti junction - pickup cables cut short then extended with other wiring, joints soldered and taped everywhere - I didnt even attempt to plug it in.

The there was the sawdust / drilling debris inside the routes - what a mess!

Oh yeah, The trem didnt seem to work so I took it off and found a gold picture frame nail lodged under it!

However, every cloud has a silver lining, there were 2 grey bottomed staggered pole single coils that look similar to the Tokai pick ups and the original Squier type pick up that looks like the ones on my old 1983/4 Squier popular. Add to that the hot raill humbucker we have some potential.

So I decided to mock up what it could look like with a bit of tlc and some new screws. Well see, not sure about the body, may just start again!

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

Looking good already with the anodized pick guard. Would look even better with the gold hardware and some of those gold knobs like ones on a Fender "The Strat".

Iain,

Don't know about a sow's ear, possibly a sow's knob! Should keep you occupied in these cold Autumn evenings though.

Actually good luck, a nice project. Let us know how it progesses.

Dave

Latest posts

Back