Buying Springy Sound Advice

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dek1280

Reaction score
Hi,

I have opportunity to buy ST-80 in link below:

http://www.soundaffectsmusic.com/pre-owned/tokai-st-80.html

Any advice on what to look for / ask about when I try it out in the store tomorrow or other advice in general would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Would anyone care to comment on condition, originality, price?

My thoughts are that it looks pretty good with only honest play wear without being abused, a slight concern over bridge pickup without visible 'E' stamp though wiring looks untouched and volume knob discolouration compared to tone knobs otherwise looks to be all original, price?? I've been to find another example for comparison.

All comments are welcomed.. with only 6 hours 'til I try out please don't hold back your opinions!

Thanks

This guitar popped up on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and promptly 'sold'. At the time, I was kicking myself for not buying it.

The instrument is, in all likelihood, an honest springy sound. However, the fact that it is still for sale would make me think twice. When you try it out, ask the shop why it didn't sell the last time and see what they say.

Here is the link to the original listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=200803888149&nma=true&rt=nc&si=RDSy4phcBiaSEIRvKDrHyW4SKrc%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_5067wt_909

I am only just starting to learn about these guitars myself and I know that other forum members will know a great deal about these instruments.

Let me know how you get on. Tony

Thanks for your comments Tony... I will be sure to ask whether it has been previously sold on EBay.

Do any contributors to the forum have anything more to add?

Thanks

Ok.. so I couldn't resist this beautifully light, infinitely playable, stunning looking guitar. Collect on Friday.

It seems to have been around one or two members on this forum already.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8486&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hi,

In the post in the link above the question was raised regarding the possibility of the neck having been changed.

Does the neck stamp have any significance? Could this indicate that the neck is not of the same period as the body?

Also the tuners appear to be unstamped.. Could this indicate that the tuners are not of the same period as the neck?

Regardless of these anomalies the neck has a sublime vintage feel.. I'm just trying to amass some history to the guitar.

Thanks.

well there is a coincidence , i was going to buy this guitar also ,it does look great ,although maybe not for the purist.If it plays great and it certainly looks great would be good enough for me,and ive owned **** loads of high end guitars ,to many my wife would say ,shes right as well
i rang the shop on saturday morning after sleeping on it , big mistake .
Ive just got back into playing Tokais and bought three recently ,had approx 15 to 20 in the past , a few of my mates still have the ones i gave them.
funny i havnt been on this website for at least 10 years and had to subscribe again.Anyway enjoy the guitar ,i know that i would have .

villager said:
i bought it and sent it back because its an st-60 not an 80..

the neck is not a V its a C and the finish is poly not nitro,

You bought it and sent it back telling them the reasons and they offer it as st-80 again :eek:
What bastards ! :evil:

That's why I'd put a lot of value on a guitar with the proper ink stamps and markings. It's easy to know what you've got and maybe worth paying a little more.

I had a 1981 ST70. Sold it to a guy in the UK a couple of years back now.

I'll say this two ways.

1. The ST70 did not have a skunk stripe on the back.
2. Had a slab rosewood board...no skunkstripe.

Far as I know, the ST70 is the only 'Springy' with a slab rosewood board and no skunstripe (that's 3 ways of saying it). Peter Mac may be able to confirm that one.

That's what you need to look out for. You'll be hard pressed to find one.

Anyone wants to post pictures of it here then contact me via emai:

[email protected]

And i'll gladly send them over.

Back