Last night, my Les Paul Reborn had it's giggin' debut!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaijunkie

Reaction score
Hi Tokai Lovers

yesterday I did it. I 've played a gig with my 1979 Tokai Les Paul Reborn and everything went well and it stayed in tune just perfectely! This makes me pretty proud of this wondeful vintage guitar!
The only bitter pill was the need to exchange the superb sounding original pickups with Seymour Duncan '59 Zebras because of feedback problems while playing with high gain. (The Ducans sound excellent too, btw!)

Anyway, this adds one more piece of history to this wonderful instrument and I enjoyed playing it live for the first time.

Do you guys gig with your vintage Tokais too?

best regards

TJ

tokaijunkie said:
Do you guys gig with your vintage Tokais too?
Sure, that's the reason I bought them... :wink: About the squealing: you could also consider to wax the Gotoh pickups which should be easy, because usually they don't have covers.

Hallo Hans-J?rgen

obwohl ich davon ausgehe, dass wir beide deutsch sprechen wechsle ich nun wieder zu english, vielleicht interessierts ja sonst noch jemanden! ;-)

My 1979 Les Paul Reborn http://guitar.pmn.ch/blackpearl/ was equipped with the x-stamped nickel covered humbuckers which are really vintage sounding. I think I will leave them untouched and put them back in sometime. Maybe the Duncans will then go to my Fernandes Super Grade!? Which is also a superb sounding and playing guitar.

best regards from Switzerland

TJ

tokaijunkie said:
My 1979 Les Paul Reborn http://guitar.pmn.ch/blackpearl/ was equipped with the x-stamped nickel covered humbuckers which are really vintage sounding.
Nice pictures you have up there! I can't figure out though if this is a mahogany or maple top, in the bridge pickup cavity it looks like maple on the left side to me. By the way, does your guitar have a stock lightweight tailpiece? And these values for image sizes must be wrong, because they load much faster than 1.x MB?

I think I will leave them untouched and put them back in sometime. Maybe the Duncans will then go to my Fernandes Super Grade!? Which is also a superb sounding and playing guitar.
Recently I installed a '59 model in the neck of my friend's Tokai Love Rock, and to me it sounded too boomy there. But this always depends on the acoustic sound of a guitar if it works out or not.

Hi Hans-J?rgen

The 1979 LS-50 had a maple top. Most likely it would be a 3 piece top, but thats hard to tell on the black model. The back is 2 piece mahagony, thats for shure.

For the tailpiece I'm not shure either, because I didn't paid much attention to it, when I had it off last time. But I think it could be a more heavier material than aluminum.

I hope I will find the time to upload more pictures of the axe with the Duncans in the near future.

The sound of the Duncans to me is very good. The neck PU sounds really vintage and the bridge has a wide range of usabilty. (vintage to almost hi-gain) At the moment this is important to me, as we play at the upper side of the gain scale in our Nirvana tribute band. ;-)

best regards

TJ

Tokai's rock for gigging! I've set up my '83 LS80 for optimum playability (sp?) with Graph Tec saddles and lots of Nut Sauce. It stays in tune perfectly and I haven't broken a string on stage yet (they usually last for weeks after a gig). I also replaced the tuners with new Klusons.

I put a Lindy Fralin in the bridge position, it is custom wound (I think I had him wind it to 9 K, but it might have been 9.5). It only squeals when I want it too! Check out the nicely controlled, but still monstrous feedback at the end of my cover of Hard to Handle. That's me playing it in the pictures, too BTW.

I think all of the clips that aren't a Strat on that page are with the Love Rock.

http://www.swampcoolermusic.com/music.htm

I end up playing my Tokai more than my R9 on stage.

Latest posts

Back