Neck Profiles

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I understand it, the neck profiles on the "vintage" Tokai LP's were mainly on the chunky side. Of the current, or more recent Love Rock premium models with solid flame tops (eg ls260 or an ls380), does either one or both have the slimmer 60's neck?

GET THE LED OUT said:
As I understand it, the neck profiles on the "vintage" Tokai LP's were mainly on the chunky side. Of the current, or more recent Love Rock premium models with solid flame tops (eg ls260 or an ls380), does either one or both have the slimmer 60's neck?

Some of the old ones had slim profiles, I'm sure a few people on here have/had thinner neck profile LPs and they will chime in.

Generally the newer Tokais seem to have what has become known as Tokai's 59 neck profile. It is a great profile IMO, and it's worth remembering that Tokai necks are not as wide as a Gibson Historic or Greco Super Real which are both about 44.5mm wide. Tokai and Bacchus are more in the 42/43mm width, but Bacchus necks are pretty chunky front to back almost U shaped.

For me, the width is the issue not the front to back depth - I can use a chunky neck like on my Bacchus Duke because it isn't wide, but the combination of a wide neck and chunky depth is not for me. So, no Historic 58/59 or Super Reals. What's your preference?

I'm pretty much in the same ballpark. I don't feel comfortable at all with the wider necks, as I'm not "blessed" with large hands, and in particular, long fingers. I get a little "confused", (for want of a better word), with all of the different neck profiles, and the various shapes and sizes. I recently picked up a mate's Fender Tele, and the neck was really thin, and it felt really comfortable in my hand. No idea of the profile, or even the model of tele as he found it in a "Cashies" shop.

GET THE LED OUT said:
I'm pretty much in the same ballpark. I don't feel comfortable at all with the wider necks, as I'm not "blessed" with large hands, and in particular, long fingers. I get a little "confused", (for want of a better word), with all of the different neck profiles, and the various shapes and sizes. I recently picked up a mate's Fender Tele, and the neck was really thin, and it felt really comfortable in my hand. No idea of the profile, or even the model of tele as he found it in a "Cashies" shop.

Try and get some measurements off that Tele neck if you can, at least then you can try to get in the same ball park.

Although it's pretty difficult getting sellers to give neck measurements, some do it as a matter of course but not many. Nut width should be possible to get most times.

You'll probably end up like me and just have to try a few. The guys at Japan Vintage Guitars in Melbourne have quite a few different brands that you can try. When I bought my Duke from them they actually came to my house with about 6 or 7 guitars.

It sounds like you will have to stay away from Historic and Super Real sized necks that are both wide and fat. It is easier with Strats and Teles with the maple necks as they are nearly always smaller sized necks compared to LPs.

Latest posts

Back