Trade 1980 Tokai TE80 for a Bacchus Tele. Worth it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whelanator

Reaction score
I have a potential trade for a 1980 Tokai TE80 for a Bacchus tele. I know preferences and likes/dislikes are very subjective but is this trade worth it? Tokai is a one piece ash with natural finish in excellent condition. Bacchus looks like new, vintage series.

I would also be leaning towards keeping the TE-80, as long as it wasn't a complete piece of crap.

However, the last vintage Tokai Tele that I tried out had a such a thin neck and tiny frets that I sent it straight back where it came from.
To me, it was almost unplayable, which was a shame because the tone was quite nice.

If you have a good Tele in hand try and hold on to it. I start weeping when I think back to some of the ones I let go (and shouldn't have). :cry: :)

My only complaint with the Tokai is the fret wire is so small and the finish on the neck is a little tacky. I recently got a Bacchus strat and it plays like butter. Incredible guitar. Looks like I'm just going to have to have both of them and put myself further in debt.

whelanator said:
My only complaint with the Tokai is the fret wire is so small and the finish on the neck is a little tacky. I recently got a Bacchus strat and it plays like butter. Incredible guitar. Looks like I'm just going to have to have both of them and put myself further in debt.

Yeah understood. It's common for used guitar buyers to have to chop and change for a while to get exactly what they want.

If you don't enjoy playing that Tele and it's just not being used then it gets easier to make a case for letting it go.
If you modify it to make it more to your liking (fret job) then resale will be affected if you end up letting it go at some point (possibly no big deal depending on what you paid originally).

Personally, I take a few months to a year to decide whether I will "get used" to a guitar. If the frets are really low I'm not interested unless I get it for peanuts and it's desirable to me in some ways that will justify a $500 fret job.

If you're not liking the Tele and don't think you ever will then maybe let it go - I mean it's not a vintage Fender Tele.

What model Bacchus? They made some very high end models that came stock with Fralin p`ups. Others had thick necks.

It is a vintage series i believe. It has the telecaster head stock shape. I think they made them between 1994 and 2006. Its currently on ebay;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bacchus-MIJ-vintage-style-TELE-Begining-New-Traditionl-/170875509232?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1167746884573779480%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Yes, the ones I mentioned in my first post were made at that time. You can ask the seller what p`ups are in it since he hasn`t provided any photos of the electronics...should have Noble pots and a steel switch. I own several bacchus strats and teles from that time period and all are center seamed bodies...the one I have with the Fralins in a 2 piece off center joined ash body with a thick neck. The bacchus teles I had that were based on the `54s all had thick necks.

I think i am going to go ahead with the trade. I am so impressed with the 57 strat that I bought for him I cant help but want to see what the tele is like. From that pic can you tell what type of pick ups it has? I know they made two different types. how do the pick ups in your bacchus teles sound? The seller is not all that responsive, probably because of his english, I can understand since I speak zero japanese. Interested in hearing how you like your Bacchus teles.

With that serial number it has to be one of the last of the Vintage Series guitars, so I would guess it has Yuta pickups.

http://www.japanvintageguitars.com/Bacchus History.html

I have a Momose Strat with Yuta pickups and I certainly can't complain about the pickups. They produce a very good clear Strat sound but not too thin and plinky sounding.

Sure, others may prefer a hotter pickup or an even more Stratty tone, and I might eventually try some different pickups myself, but the Yutas sound good to me.

I have one brown oil finished custom double bound Bacchus tele that has 1/4 pounder magnets in the bridge p`up.
I`ve seen that ink before, is that from a guy named Andy?

Back