Metric or Inch thread Tone-Lock Faber Kit ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasdak

Reaction score
Hello,
i just bought a nice second hand LS85F guitar.
It is wonderfull :) but i noticed the tailpiece studs are bent. Seems a common defect amoung tokai guitars...
So i searched online and the Tone-Lock Faber Kit seems the solution.
I'm about to order one but should i go for the Metric or Inch threaded version ? I think my guitar was bought in UK.

Thanks,
pierre

nasdak said:
Hello,
It is wonderfull :) but i noticed the tailpiece studs are bent. Seems a common defect amoung tokai guitars...
Mainly on 2009 models. What production year is yours?

nasdak said:
I'm about to order one but should i go for the Metric or Inch threaded version ? I think my guitar was bought in UK.

Thanks,
pierre
Metric

felixcatus said:
nasdak said:
Hello,

nasdak said:

Thanks,
pierre
Metric

serial number is 0920720 so i guess it's a 2009 model...

How can i be sure it's metric?
Should i go for just the news studs, or for the faber tone lock ?

nasdak said:
felixcatus said:
nasdak said:
Hello,

nasdak said:

Thanks,
pierre
Metric

serial number is 0920720 so i guess it's a 2009 model...

How can i be sure it's metric?
Should i go for just the news studs, or for the faber tone lock ?

If it's Japanese, it's metric... simple as that. Go for the locking tailpiece/studs - pretty significant improvement in tone and sustain.

I just ordered that
4_0.jpg

I'll tell you how it works :)

i got them and installed them this week end.
I cant say i hear any change in soud, but they seem to do the job :)

nasdak said:
i got them and installed them this week end.
I cant say i hear any change in soud, but they seem to do the job :)

I am seriously considering going for these but your comments have given me second thoughts. :eek: Just wondering if after spending some time with them if you have noticed any difference in sustain as I would not expect any noticeable change in tone. Having them locking is a benefit, that on its own; I would find hard to justify for the price.

My studs were bent so i had to change them and chose the locking tone kit. If your studs are fine, just keep'm :)

nasdak said:
My studs were bent so i had to change them and chose the locking tone kit. If your studs are fine, just keep'm :)

Thanks I'll do just that LOL :D

Personally I found the difference pretty noticeable. The whole body of the guitar felt more resonant under my hand.

Compared to alternatives like tonepros the Faber stuff is pretty cheap and, IMO, technically superior.

Paladin2019 said:
Personally I found the difference pretty noticeable. The whole body of the guitar felt more resonant under my hand.

Compared to alternatives like tonepros the Faber stuff is pretty cheap and, IMO, technically superior.

Thanks that's good to hear.

Paladin2019 said:

Same here, but I also replaced the stock (zinc) TP with an aluminum one at the same time.

felixcatus said:
Paladin2019 said:

Same here, but I also replaced the stock (zinc) TP with an aluminum one at the same time.

Another happy customer :lol: thanks for heads up.

...and another, I did the bridge and tailpiece. Perfect fit on my '81. Noticeable improvement.

I have installed Faber locking bridges and tailpieces on 15+ MIJ LPs and I have found that each individual guitar has it's own needs to get it sound the way you like it to do. So some ended up with only a locking bridge or only a locking tailpiece and even one with it's lriginal zinc alloy tailpiece and no Faber parts. What can be said about the Faber parts is that you will get more focussed notes, a mid shift and not always more sustain.

Back