1980 LS-100 Joe Walsh - an unbelievable 6lbs.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freebird

Reaction score
I asked the seller how much it weighs. His response, "Man it's light like about 6 pounds are so." Maybe it's one of Billy Gibbons' hollowed out ones. Maybe that's not an urban myth afterall.

Regardless. I'm amazed at the number of sellers of Les Pauls that omit the weight when advertizing, and then when asked don't even bother to actually weigh it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS-100-LP-Love-Rock-MIJ-80-Red-Joe-Walsh-model-Nitro-/150853297565?pt=Guitar&hash=item231f8ea59d

Doesn't sound like he weighed it...probably more like 7lbs light. I'm actually in Houston. Might see if he's a dealer and has it available to see.

Yeah 6lbs is pretty much impossibly light - there are many SGs that are heavier than 6lbs and still have neck dive.

I don't like the look of the height of the action on that LS.

Don't see one of these 'rare' models for years on end, and then 5 or 6 turn up within months of each other! That's a crazy weight if it hasn't been 'relieved' of some body weight, all the ones I personally know of are in the 3.9 - 4.2kg range. Mine is 4kg, just a handful of guitars away on the production line, or serial numbering. Seems like a fair price if you are in the US. I'm not a great fan of the slightly slimmer neck but great instruments never the less.

no way is it 6lbs, unless a lot of wood has been removed, which makes it worth a lot less, even if it did belong to a famous bearded guitar player, if he had proof of that then i would buy it just for that reason, good deal for the usa, shipping and taxes kill us for europe

Freebird said:
jacco said:
Mine is 3.6 kg

3.6 kg = 7.9 lbs. That's pretty light for a Les Paul. Is there something about this model that brings the weight down? Or is yours just a lighter weight one Jacco?

I've checked the interiors and it's a normal 1P back & 2P top, all maho.

villager said:
its all mahogony, although I dont know if mahog is lighter or heavier than maple.... :)

As far as the comparative weight of mahogany or maple goes, I think there is a fair amount of variance between pieces of wood within the same species, let alone between the two species. For example, take a look at the weights of Villager's two LS-100s for sale that are all mahogany - one weighs 9lbs, 11oz. and the other weighs 8lbs., 9 oz.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/page%206%20Tokai.html

Between Reborns there are such a difference in weight. I have seen over the years 3,8 kg. (mine) and 4,7 kgs. and more. I also own a '81 LS-50 in 3,6 kg. range. I finally forget the weight when playing a good guitar but the sound is not the same in lighter than in heavier guitars.

I have a LS-100-ON weighs 4kg

I also have this LS-100-OR and is heavier at 4.4kg (9lb and 11oz),

family081.jpg

Lol, they certainly are not as rare as thought before. Beauty!

edit: ipad spelling mistakes..

There is a formula used to get light weights with the right woods. There is no formula to my knowledge to get a 6 lb LP unless it is chambered, weight relieved, or the body is not the standard thickness. The Phantom says its not 6lbs.
I also have an LS100 weighing in at 8.6 lbs

Phantom said:
There is a formula used to get light weights with the right woods. There is no formula to my knowledge to get a 6 lb LP unless it is chambered, weight relieved, or the body is not the standard thickness. The Phantom says its not 6lbs.
I also have an LS100 weighing in at 8.6 lbs

and it is also the Joe Walsh model.

The original 6Ib weight description was to get buyers even more interested. :D

Last year I bought a super lightweight mahogany 2 piece strat body from Musikraft. That was 3Ib dead which is very light for any kind of mahogany.

Nice if the history was verified.

Back