Tokai HARD PUNCHER P-BASS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a PB Hard puncher fender copy Tokai. It has been a great bass, with me for a long time over 15 years since i was about 15!

I was wondering if anyone would have an idea on age?

Serial Number is simply: 223096

I'd love to know amore about these period of P-Bass' as she's been a Gem.

Also, I started having my first problems with electrics. Tone Control will only allow Full treble sound and when tone is altered it basically acts as a volume knob! what does that sound like as a problem?!

I was wondering what any of you guys would suggest in terms of electrics and specifying potential upgrade parts including pickups which might do justice to this guitar which i have a lot of affection for!

PS she's a sunburst
Hear it on this track:

www.reverbnation.com/ejpwalker

Cheers

Paul

Hi Walker. I'm not a bass player myself but I have a mate with 6 Tokai basses.

Post a picture and dating will be easy, that serial alone isn't enough.

What I can say is just build a spare scatch plate and load it with quality. I love Tokai, but pups are easily upgraded, but keep the Tokai stuff assembled, in case you ever come to want to sell.

Caps are only intended to pass certain frequecies to ground, sounds like a cap / pot/ grounding problem. could be something easy though like a rouge strand of wire, give the pots etc a good blow dry and brush any crap away, also spray the pot with switch cleaner and give it a good spin. If that doesn't work you need a multimeter to work out whats at fault.

Looking forward to seeing your bass.

Warren.

Thanks for the tips,

You're right, I just want to fix whatever the problem is with the right part.

I've got an orange 'drop' capacitor to try and put in there which i though might be an issue? I'm new to doing electric stuff though.

The pots in there look good quality ones

I bough a replacement scratch plate with electronics from China but the components look like a piece of crap compared to what's in the Tokai so i'm not going to use that!

What is this electric testing device you mention?

And how do you post pictures up on here i have a few of the Bass

Oh and thanks for listening/ liking the song. I play the instruments and produced it.[/img][/code]

To post pics I'm sure there is a thread on how to.

Simply create an account at photobucket or flikr, upload your photos on there. Once they are on there you can generate a web address for each one.

when you write a message click the IMG button above enter the address of the photo then IMG again. Repeat as necessary.

Cheers.

This is off topic, since I can't help you with those perticular problems. I play bass myself at the moment w/some friends, but that's on my Yamaha BB2000 -84 (which I actually honors more than my Tokai guitars, it's an insanly good bass, although it doesn't have that "classic look").

But I actually just wanted to say that your song Snow was awesome! I loved it instantly, and miss the old good days when you once in while actually could catch a good tune like this on MTV. Today, not so much..

I wish you much success and good luck in the future in terms of songwriting, and hoping for more.

Latest posts

Back