Greco SA??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marcus..

It sounds quite different to the SA64-70. That has 57 Classics but the new one has no markings on the pups. Very PAF'y sounding, lower output. The neck pickup is really plummy, warm and defined. With a little reverb it's superb!

Very happy.

How did your new one go Marcus? You must have it by now!

Dave

ozgrecofanatic said:
Marcus..

It sounds quite different to the SA64-70. That has 57 Classics but the new one has no markings on the pups. Very PAF'y sounding, lower output. The neck pickup is really plummy, warm and defined. With a little reverb it's superb!

Very happy.

How did your new one go Marcus? You must have it by now!

Dave

Great to hear that Dave. Mine has a story..... will post it when I get it back from my guitar shop.

ozgrecofanatic said:
Come on Marcus the suspense is killing me!! What's the story with the SA you bought?

Dave

Sorry Dave... been traveling alot. Have several pictures to put up and my guitar should be back with me this Thurs or Friday.

In a nutshell, bought it directly from a guy in Austin (he'd previously purchased it ALL ORIGINAL from Chingo on ebay). He swapped out the original pickups for some Fralin Pure PAF's - which are killer pickups and a nice $250 upgrade. Said he would include the orginals - which I did want.

Guitar came in - looked great. But the pickups he included were nothing even close to original - ceramic magnets, green/yellow bobbin tape. Really???

Also noticed that the pickguard rattled alot. Upon closer inspection, it was a brand new Allparts pickguard that the cutouts didn't fit the pickups - in fact, the neck pickup was resting atop the edge of the installed pickguard and didn't rest flush with the body.

Contacted the seller to point all this out and he said "you're absolutely correct. I sent you the wrong pickups and pickguard. Will send them to you".

They arrived - pickguard was the correct one. Looks like the neck pickup is the correct one - unmarked nickel/silver back. But the bridge pickup is brass backed and different wire - again, ????

At this point, figured I'd just let it go and I sent back the wrong pickups and pick guard.

Set up the guitar (it was set up with the bridge backwards with the low E resting atop the high E saddles, etc). Set up action and intonation. Good to go, right? Well not quite.... strings buzzed like a jar of hornets and fretted out below the 7th fret.

Took it to my guitar guy and he said that it looked like it was a high fret - only to find later that all the frets were wonky and a slight twist in the neck. He corrected the twist with truss rod adjust but had to do a full dress on the frets. I went back to the seller with all this and never got a reply.

So at this point, I'll have the guitar back this week - finally playable. Will take the Fralin's out for a spin. Might put the orginal pickups back in to give them a listen too. I'll put up pics of this when I can gather everything up and some photos of the guitar when I get it back. It really is a gorgeous piece of work.

Marcus...

That's bad luck mate sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully now the guitar will be working properly and you'll get some use out of it. It would be interesting to know if your new one is the same dimensionally as your SA64-90. My new SA is significantly lighter and more resonant than my SA64-70. The neck is not as wide but thicker in profile. I like it a lot. Sometimes you pick up a guitar and it just feels "right". This is one of them. I haven't even taken it for a setup yet but I will soon. If it plays this well without a setup it will be fantastic when it is tweaked and ready to rock.

Looking forward to seeing a few pics mate. All the best.

Dave

ozgrecofanatic said:
Marcus...

That's bad luck mate sorry to hear of your issues. Hopefully now the guitar will be working properly and you'll get some use out of it. It would be interesting to know if your new one is the same dimensionally as your SA64-90. My new SA is significantly lighter and more resonant than my SA64-70. The neck is not as wide but thicker in profile. I like it a lot. Sometimes you pick up a guitar and it just feels "right". This is one of them. I haven't even taken it for a setup yet but I will soon. If it plays this well without a setup it will be fantastic when it is tweaked and ready to rock.

Looking forward to seeing a few pics mate. All the best.

Dave

I'll need to do a real side by side comparison when I get it back. But for the short time I had it here, I recall it being heavier and the neck width only slightly wider. Other than that, pretty much the same. More figuring in the wood of the SA64-90 though but both have the same, gorgeous amber finish. Can't wait to get it back.

Back