THE PHANTOM FINDS BRAZILIAN

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
You can believe the phantom or not. There has never been any confirmation of Brazilian used on Tokai guitars. I've owned many and would say there were none that were Brazilian. But now the Phantom has confirmed with the help of others that the LS100 in question has been confirmed as Brazilian. I knew in my heart but had to get the experts opinions and my suspicions were right.

Anyone else think they might have something like this?
Not even my number 1 has Brazilian nor any LS80's etc I've ever owned.

The Phantom would love to know other peoples experiences

I JUST LOOKED AT THE TITLE, BOY COULD THAT BE SUBJECTIVE!!!!
I'll say its Timo or the Spike to chime in on that one

The Phantom

OK, no quips about talcum and tweezers from me. But I think you can smell Brazilian rosewood. All my older Gibsons have had that 'sweet' smell. At first I thought it was the nitro curing but it's more pronounced on the fingerboard and I'm sure it's the wood.

Congrats are in order then, to The Phantom for locating this phenomenon - any pics of the guitar in question? :D

Hey Spike your right it does have that sweet smell. But I have someone who has been working with Brazilian for over 30 years and when he works on it he breaks out and has reactions to it. Although he never looked that great after sanding a little, the Phantom was pleased to say the least.

The Phantom just got back but must leave again so pics wont be immediate but will try to get some.

Looks like the Spike is first lol

Phantom

Phantom said:
What year are your Gibsons Spike?

I've had a '59 Les Paul Junior, a '61 Special and a '61 Junior and a '64 Epiphone 'Coronet'. All gone but I currently own two '64 SG Juniors. They all had/have that smell.

Not till you scrape em Jacco..........................
and yes you have some Braz boards the Phanton can smell from here ;)

mmhh,the fretboards on my ls100 and my egf1200 look different...while the tokai board is mostly dark the greco has some hints of red in it.

I really dunno if what I'm smelling is Braz or Nitro? But it's nice! :oops:

I do notice that notes 'sink in' on those simple guitars in a different way than on any others I've owned but I think that might be more to do with the wraptail bridge than the actual wood of the guitar?

I feel there's something about all that though - the combination of that simple bridge hooked onto some wide metal studs sunk into a single slab of Honduran mahogany with a nice responsive board, no goddamm fretboard binding and just one!! pickup - that all has a magic to it.

imgp4284.jpg

This look like Brazilian to anyone? I`ve asked around the web on acoustic sites...some say yes some say no. Saw it, face down, on the floor of the local pawn shop a few years ago...whats that I asked, that just came in they said. Can I look at it?... Sure...picked it up, the more I went over it the more my heart rate increased...all the grain lines up inside and out on back and sides, solid top and very well put together. Anyways...theres more to this but long story short...how much? I asked...make an offer...5000 yen I said...the two 20 something staff looked at each other like mice who`d just stolen the cheese and agreed...so I walked out with it. The guitar smells like vanilla through the sound hole. Sounds amazing.

BBQoldclassicalhachimanshrine200-1.jpg

Thats real cool! And it looks like Braz.

"Vanilla" - THATS IT!!!! :D

I just picked up my main '64 SG Junior. That smell is right there. Then I played it and you know......there's nothing like a good Junior! 8) 8) 8)

imgp4289e.jpg

Spike, Honduras and Brazilian are the best combo for me. You've got a great guitar there. Love it.

Sneaky Japan that looks like my old Gianni acoustic which was made in Brazil. I say its Brazilian.

Spike.................................your killin me

Latest posts

Back