Problem with Faber Wrapover Bridge on Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timski

Reaction score
I just installed the Faber compensated wrapover bridge on a Tokai LP special.
I am using the Faber locking posts.
Unfortunately I cannot get it to intonate as all my strings are significantly flat at the twelfth fret and the bridge is as close to the neck as it will go.

Suggestions?

Had the same problem with a Faber wrap around for my 54 LP.... tried several different tailpieces and still would not intonate. Went back to the compensated tailpiece that came with the guitar. Contact the seller with your issue.

How annoying for you guys - a guitar that can't be intonated properly kind of, isn't a guitar.

Anybody done the Faber upgrade without issues?

I wouldn't mind seeing some side by side photos of the two bridges to see if there's any differences. Can you make out any differences?

JVsearch said:
How annoying for you guys - a guitar that can't be intonated properly kind of, isn't a guitar.

Anybody done the Faber upgrade without issues?

I wouldn't mind seeing some side by side photos of the two bridges to see if there's any differences. Can you make out any differences?

Rather than having the compensation ridges, the Faber units are milled as shown here. That's the biggest difference noticable between them and the stock bridge. I believe the milling was off a tad (or perhaps the post positions of the guitar?) and I too had problems with some strings being flat when the wraparound was as far forward as it would go. Here's a photo of the Fabers:

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/content_images/img_0789large.jpg

I'll add that the dealer bent over backwards to send me a few different bridges to see if one would work. Unfortunately they didn't and I had to go back to the stock unit.

Ah, ok so they're completely different.

It wouldn't hurt to bring those edges forward by one or two millimetres to give more adjustment range.
They were probably going for a bridge that was almost perfect sitting right on the studs without using the little screws, which might give better tone I guess (not sure).

What a bummer - they look like good quality parts.

I have the plain wrap Faber and it's superb. Is the problem just with the compensated ones?

Could i use the smooth one on a guitar with parallel studs, (not the angled ones) or wouldn't there be enough play to intonate it? Got a '64 Junior that might need this and I only got a plain wrap spare.

Anyone got a wraptail bridge like a Tonpros or Pigtail, with individual saddles they want to sell?

spikeymikey said:
Could i use the smooth one on a guitar with parallel studs, (not the angled ones) or wouldn't there be enough play to intonate it? Got a '64 Junior that might need this and I only got a plain wrap spare.

If the adjustment screws are long enough, it should intonate. Worth a try. Think I'm going to try one.

I put the Faber posts and bridge on my Edwards Jr. and it was a perfect fit.

24_0.JPG

After I did that I was reading that Faber outsourced some of their work to Ping in China :roll: so much for German craftsmanship, eh?

timski said:
Unfortunately I cannot get it to intonate as all my strings are significantly flat at the twelfth fret and the bridge is as close to the neck as it will go.

Suggestions?

What strigns are you using ? Did you try with lighter set ? I'm astonished if Faber has made a totally unusable product.

Matti

mattim said:
timski said:

Suggestions?

What strigns are you using ? Did you try with lighter set ? I'm astonished if Faber has made a totally unusable product.

Matti

Like I said above, I went through at least three Faber wrap tailpieces and none of them intonated - all were still flat when moved as far toward the neck as possible. I play 11's

I put the stock Tokai compensated bridge back on and it works fine (except for the G string which is slightly off - I've been told that their bridges are compensated for a wound G)

I had the opposite problem with the Wilkinson wraparound on my Edwards LPJ I couldn't get back enough and consequently every string was sharp.If anyone is interested in a swap deal(wilkinson+cash for a Faber)let me know

Latest posts

Back