Hollow Body Guitars - Need Some Guidance

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schizoidman

Reaction score
Hello,
First of all I'm new to this forum, I browsed a bit during this day and i found some usefull information. So I'm guessing I will be visiting this forum from now on.

On-Topic:

I've been gas'ing for a Hollow guitar for some time now, and i've made up my mind and i'm going to buy a "cheap" one in the following month. I want to use it for some jazzy songs (the most traditional way), and to use it with some rock/experimental stuff.
So far, i've come up with two guitars that I find interesting and fit my budget. One being the Tokai ES60 and the other the Epiphone DOT.

In the city i'm living, i have one store that has a DOT for sale for 295?, wich i already tried and liked in those circumstances (I played with a small combo at low volume, and with old strings etc...) but the action on the neck was cool and the guitar seemed well built.

On the other hand, i know a store in my country that sells the Tokai for 399? with a case included. The problem is that this store is too far for me to go there and try it. So i'm asking for your wisdom for this matter.

My choices at the moment are:
-Buying the DOT and a case.
-Buying the ES60.

And both will be about 400?.

So, my question is: Wich one is the better in your opinion? Considering that i wan't to upgrade parts as soon as possible, wich one is the better starting point?

I've tried to answer this by myself, but with no way to check the ES60 before buying it i can only resort to web opinions. So any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Probably safer to go with the guitar you know, all things considered. I'm sure the Tokai is great, but if you've got one guitar you know and one you don't...

schizoid

Phone the music store that has the Tokai ES60...get them to send you some photos.
Speak to the guitar tech that works there, ask him to check out the guitar you want to buy.
If they have a few ask the tech to play them and choose one for you, one that he can setup perfectly.
Also, tell them you'll buy it, but if it arrives and you're not happy you want to return it.

Not sure but I am not crazy about the Epi Dot, just the looks are not for me.

Have never tried an ES-60. I once checked out a number of Chinese Tokai Love Rocks in different Stores and they seemed okay for the money. Whatever you choose, the pickups and electronics are not great in these lo-price guitars and they are a ***** to replace in an ES-335.
I have done it, it can be done, but it is not too easy.

A good ES-335 really shines in any musical territory, from clean Funk to Heavy
riff-jobs and everything from Blues to Rock, Punk. It should sound airy and rich when played clean, not squeaky and throaty. If you really rock it, it will be a mean screamer!! Think Dave Grohl.

If you spend 400 and are eventually gonna spend at least another 200 on decent pickups (if you put them in yourself) why not save up and shop around for a decent used ES?

If you're intending to immediately upgrade the hardware and electronics, maybe you should buy a better guitar to start with?

The ES60 guitars are actually too good...sometimes I lose ES135 sales because of them. :D
Even though the ES135s are much "better" guitars, the ES60s at the price are superb.
And, the new 335 'Paisley' hard cases clinch the deal. 8)

Back