Done with Japanese guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koubayashi

Reaction score
Came to a point where I lost all interest for Japanese guitars.
Well, a good guitar is a good guitar so I keep a handful for that sake.

Anyone sharing my "faith"?

if you have some piece that is bothering you right, give me a whistle. I hope to help you... :lol:

p.s. sure, PM me :wink:

I hear you.... but for me it's not just Japanese guitars - it's guitars in general. Also just sold my motorcyle I've had for 10 years. Don't know where my head's at these days.......

I think there is a normal curve of passion and interest in all things we do. The more they become "everyday" the more we struggle to maintain a high level of involvement...

Cali Girl said:
The man who is tired of Japanese guitars is tired of life.

Don't know...
Also, these days American Vintage is so cheap.
I have bought plenty of 50's and 60's Gibson and Fender this year.

No matter how great a Greco SS700 is it just doesn't match my 65 Gibby SG.
Tone etc is great but the vibe and mojo of the real deal.....Dang...
The smell when you open an older Fender case.
The Japanese guitars just don't have that.

well, whatever floats your boat

That is to say, folks can change, it's the way things are.

I have MIJ and some American gear.
I am selling all my low end MIJ in favour of high end MIJ, it's just the feel, smell, sound, etc that appeals to me more about them. However some rare MIJ are still demanding high price, even in today's tough $ climate.

greco_burst said:
well, whatever floats your boat

That is to say, folks can change, it's the way things are.

I have MIJ and some American gear.
I am selling all my low end MIJ in favour of high end MIJ, it's just the feel, smell, sound, etc that appeals to me more about them. However some rare MIJ are still demanding high price, even in today's tough $ climate.

A rare guitar is a rare guitar.
But these days I'd rather save a little extra and buy an American Vintage guitar.

Though, I had a couple of really worn JV 115 Strats and wouldn't mind another. However, it is harder to come buy a heavily worn JV Strat than a mint condition 50's Strat :D

so...NOW...you`re REALLY done with MIJ guitars then?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19747

Koub................................I will reply to this post when I get a minute.
The Phantom is going through very similar stages, but where do we go from here?

Phantom said:
Koub................................I will reply to this post when I get a minute.
The Phantom is going through very similar stages, but where do we go from here?

These days when real vintage guitars are getting cheaper by the day...
Obvious way to go.
A good guitar is a good guitar no matter if it is Greco or Gibson.
But, there is something with a 50s Gibson which no Greco come near.

I agree, I mean truly thats the reason they were copied, because of their quality and tone. unfortunately
they started spitting out crap later, and now we have the famous "chambered" and lets not forget "weight relieved" guitars, yuck!!!
The Phantom doesn't approve.
I brought my number 1 into a top end music store, they have all there VOS and top end guitars in this room. I told them I want them to find me a guitar that sounds better than my number one, and I will drop the 5K today. When I got back after lunch, they said the guitar is in the case, don't sell it. We can't figure why, but don't sell it.

Phantom said:
I agree, I mean truly thats the reason they were copied, because of their quality and tone. unfortunately
they started spitting out crap later, and now we have the famous "chambered" and lets not forget "weight relieved" guitars, yuck!!!
The Phantom doesn't approve.
I brought my number 1 into a top end music store, they have all there VOS and top end guitars in this room. I told them I want them to find me a guitar that sounds better than my number one, and I will drop the 5K today. When I got back after lunch, they said the guitar is in the case, don't sell it. We can't figure why, but don't sell it.

What I don't like about the Japanese is that they don't have the mojo.
The smell when you open an old Fender case with an old Fender inside...unbeatable :D

your right, I noticed that in that old lifton case I opened up last week.
And the 59 PAF has something in the tone I've never heard so far in another pickup. It kills me to play my friends 59 sometimes, but the Phantom feels like Koub so he has decided to get a replica built. Its 4 months in, should be done it 2 months. Old growth Honduras Mahognay and old growth Brazilian Rosewood. It will be the closest he Phantom can come to a 350K 59 LP.

Koubayashi said:
The smell when you open an old Fender case with an old Fender inside...unbeatable :D

And to think some idiots played them in the '50s and '60s when they were brand new and had no mojo. They must have sucked back then. :lol:

singemonkey said:
Koubayashi said:

And to think some idiots played them in the '50s and '60s when they were brand new and had no mojo. They must have sucked back then. :lol:

Actually, they were good from the day they were made because of the wood selection, low production numbers and the care given to making them.
Of course that's all gone now, but we are much richer and have cheap plane travel and advanced medical care.

The Gibson reputation did start with quality guitars.

JVsearch said:
The Gibson reputation did start with quality guitars.

And the Tokai, Greco, Burny, etc reputation was built upon those quality guitars along with Fenders - after all, they did come first.

Koubayashi said:

Yup, and with Gibsons you get that even more with that sweet Braz smell too and the curing nitro.

Phantom said:
your right, I noticed that in that old lifton case I opened up last week.
And the 59 PAF has something in the tone I've never heard so far in another pickup. It kills me to play my friends 59 sometimes, but the Phantom feels like Koub so he has decided to get a replica built. Its 4 months in, should be done it 2 months. Old growth Honduras Mahognay and old growth Brazilian Rosewood. It will be the closest he Phantom can come to a 350K 59 LP.

There was an interesting thread on the Lp forum by a guy called 'Wilko' who bought a beat-up 56 P90 Goldtop off ebay for around $10k and had it converted. He 'Burst' finished it himself and added original PAF's. Very cool thread. That's another way of getting there I suppose.

Who's making your replica, Phant'ster?

Back