Tube/Valve head question.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuattroSte

Reaction score
I am looking to get that warm valve/tube sound but I don't have a valve/tube amp. So far I have a few options like buy a tube screamer or a Boss OD3. Another option I was seriously thinking about was the Vox Valvetronix 50 watt. Not quite a true valve system but I reckon it would fool me. My final option which is where I need help is to get a second hand valve head. If I get this would I be able to run it through my existing amps(Fender M80 chorus and Roland Cube30)? Would I be able to power the head up full and have the Fender or Roland amp volume low on the clear channel? Would this give me that warm crunchy overdriven sound?

So many questions! :eek:

You might want to wait for the Peavey Valve King series to come out in August. These new hamps have a really good price point (made in China).

You can run a head through your combo speakers but you will need to unplug the speakers from the combo.

To start I would try a Tubescreamer into the M80. You can always use a Tubescreamer (either the Ibanez or the Maxon OD808).

Ned

Like Ned said, you can use the speakers of your combo with a new head, but you should not try to connect the power amp output (the one for external speakers) of the head amp to the input of your combo. If you're planning to use both the combo and head amp for clean and distorted sounds, you need a Y-cable adapter or footswitch for splitting your guitar signal into two.

How about checking out the website for Blue Tone Amps. These are Solid State amps but use what they call Virtual Valve Technology to reproduce valve sounds. They are well respected and used by pros and dedicated amateurs alike. There is also a long list of reviews which are all very positive on Harmony Central. Their website is: www.bluetoneamps.com

Hutton

Just a quick update on the Big Ben.

Its a nice piece of kit. It gives a really warm overdrive tone but keeps the clarity of the notes. I am amazed(have never played a valve amp so I can't compare) at the difference in sound you can get from just striking the notes harder or softer. It opens up so many possibilities that I never had before. :p

I'm not there yet but I'm getting there!!

Latest posts

Back