Tokai tele neck? on vintage fender.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makaze

Reaction score
There is a Fender Telecaster on ebay UK at the moment, I had spotted his "69" strat he has for sale and checking out his other items I was amazed to see a 67/68 Tele and a close up of the neck date which is 1=11, isn't that just a Tokai unique code system or have I been wrong all these years.

Someone with more expertise please look and comment.

1. Wrong pickguard. Should be 3 ply white.
2. Should be double line Kluson or F-style
3. Too early for "Mickey Mouse" ears in the neck pocket.
4. The finish marks in the neck pocket are totally wrong.
5. Wrong string tree.
6. The case is no younger than -66 (at least consistent with the sellers claims)
7. Totally wrong pin holes
8. Etc

Tokai from late 70's and into the 80's have Mickey ears in the neck pocket and that paint free square + the pin holes.
I'd say it is an oversprayed Tokai body and a Tokai neck with a Fender logo.

Koubayashi said:
1. Wrong pickguard. Should be 3 ply white.
2. Should be double line Kluson or F-style
3. Too early for "Mickey Mouse" ears in the neck pocket.
4. The finish marks in the neck pocket are totally wrong.
5. Wrong string tree.
6. The case is no younger than -66 (at least consistent with the sellers claims)
7. Totally wrong pin holes
8. Etc

Tokai from late 70's and into the 80's have Mickey ears in the neck pocket and that paint free square + the pin holes.
I'd say it is an oversprayed Tokai body and a Tokai neck with a Fender logo.

Something may be very wrong with this auction.

The countersinking around the holes in the neck pocket - I thought that was a Tokai thing?

A search of 60's Fender neck pocket images didn't show any with the countersinking. I've had a couple of early to mid 60s Fenders myself and their neck pockets did not look like the one on this guitar.

I also don't like the general appearance of the neck for a 60s Fender.

Koubayashi may be 100% correct with his assessment that it's a Tokai.

Poor guy, he has a "collection" of vintage Fender's, did anyone check out his 1969 strat, is that another Tokai?

Back