Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rare MB Headstock Strat-Can I learn more about this please?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdeadcat
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
Very interesting guitar.Could you tell us whether the fretboard is lam or slab?and if there is a brass plate under the pots?I may also have something interesting to tell you about the PAF sticker which dates from the production of the guitar.Gabe.

Hi, can you tell me more about the PAF loose sticker please?
lifeline
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter & Cat

Excellent dead cat alley reference

OK, here's a picture of my Block and Script Goldstars plus neck and body codes for L14371 (script) notice no 'MBH' on the neck code.

[/code]
mcdeadcat
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Two MB's - JUST WOW!!! Reply with quote

Just had to say WOW with plain envy!
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guitars can we see full length shots please?
lifeline
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L14371 and L11444

The worn neck sticker L14371 I now assume this was a '60'

Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi McCat & Iain

Nice pics.
BLOCK logo Goldstar is from late 83, Script logo Goldstar is from 84.
The 9=3 on the neck is the same as the body cavity, MB is the colour and there is a 'V' which we have not yet decyphered.
If we take your models as being TST-55+5 rather than a TST-60 which had entirely different specs the 'V' coding could signify a special finish, such as a painted headstock.
TST-60 was offered in 5 colours only - GS, YSO, MR, OW and BB.
BTW, I myself own an ST-65 MB Springy from 1982.

regards
Peter Mac
lifeline
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply re my Goldstars, Peter. One question regarding the 9=3 code. If we assume production stamp 9 was September, was this started in Sept 83 but finally shipped early84, taking into account spraying/drying and shipping? I'm basing this on April 84 Goldstars purchased new Aug 84 L227xx etc .

I have the original receipt and tag for the Block logo L11444 this was purchased 28th November 1983, from Guitarzan Middlesborough. Like a lot of mathcing headstocks from the period the neck code is 5=12MBH. I will PM you and Iain some pics tomorrow.
In the meantime here is the scratchplate from the Block which I believe is as it left the factory, there is still plastic film around the scratchplate screws. This is the second MB Goldstar owned that has the yellow tape tie tidying the pickup wires.

regards
Peter
(lifeline)
iainblack
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. it would be great to get a shot with my metallic red and sonic blue toghether with your two.

My metallic red headstock does not have the H code either

lifeline
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Iain, I've always really liked your Sonic Blue. Yes we will get that picture of all four guitars. I will PM you next couple of days, currently travelling.
bluesyrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my god...
http://www.ebay.it/itm/1981-Tokai-ST-55-Springy-stratocaster-Lake-Placid-Blue-Original-Case-EC-/140731834763?pt=Gitarren&hash=item20c445618b

a maple fingerboard...
Cali Girl
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool guitar in the auction but that's not an original Tokai case Looks like it might be for an Ibanez or something.

Original case is rectangle with pink lining and brown splotchy covering. They also made some red lining and black covering later on. Hard to miss the "Tokai" badge by the latch.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdeadcat wrote:
bluejeannot wrote:
Very interesting guitar.Could you tell us whether the fretboard is lam or slab?and if there is a brass plate under the pots?I may also have something interesting to tell you about the PAF sticker which dates from the production of the guitar.Gabe.

Well this is really weird ,I have an 84 Goldstar St 80,2 piece alder body nitro finished, slab board, 3 factory fitted black backed Di Marzio St 1Strat pickups which have those dinky PAF stickers stuck on the back.
Totally bizzare as strat p`ups were never patent applied for.What one of these stickers is doing in your guitar is anybodies guess but I think it proves they were in the factory in 83/84.Maybe they were going to fit them but changed their minds or maybe one just fell in your guitar.we`ll never know. I have seen other Vs1`s fitted to other members st 80s but they didn`t have the stickers.Strage eh?Another one of those Tokai mysteries if you ask me!I`ll post some pics of the back of the Di Marzios when I have time.In the meantime here is my guitar with the DiMarzios from a couple of years ago.They tend to be a bit fatter with a bit more grunt than the Us .Gabe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZJ00vV2eo
mcdeadcat
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeline wrote:
Thanks for the reply re my Goldstars, Peter. One question regarding the 9=3 code. If we assume production stamp 9 was September, was this started in Sept 83 but finally shipped early84, taking into account spraying/drying and shipping? I'm basing this on April 84 Goldstars purchased new Aug 84 L227xx etc .

I have the original receipt and tag for the Block logo L11444 this was purchased 28th November 1983, from Guitarzan Middlesborough. Like a lot of mathcing headstocks from the period the neck code is 5=12MBH. I will PM you and Iain some pics tomorrow.
In the meantime here is the scratchplate from the Block which I believe is as it left the factory, there is still plastic film around the scratchplate screws. This is the second MB Goldstar owned that has the yellow tape tie tidying the pickup wires.

regards
Peter
(lifeline)

Interesting that mine has 9=3 stamp (although the 9 has been partially oversprayed and the = sign is faint) I think I may have purchased mine around the same time - so maybe it is a date code? with the V being the painted headstock
lifeline
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mcdeadcat, also our serial no's are close yours L14947, mine L14371. Neckplates presumably taken from stock when guitars finally assembled after stamping/ spraying/drying.
It would be great if Tony could advise details of his guitar.
bluejeannot
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bluejeannot"]
mcdeadcat wrote:
bluejeannot wrote:

Well this is really weird ,I have an 84 Goldstar St 80,2 piece alder body nitro finished, slab board, 3 factory fitted black backed Di Marzio St 1Strat pickups which have those dinky PAF stickers stuck on the back.
Totally bizzare as strat p`ups were never patent applied for.What one of these stickers is doing in your guitar is anybodies guess but I think it proves they were in the factory in 83/84.Maybe they were going to fit them but changed their minds or maybe one just fell in your guitar.we`ll never know. I have seen other Vs1`s fitted to other members st 80s but they didn`t have the stickers.Strange eh?Another one of those Tokai mysteries if you ask me! Gabe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: