1984 Tokai TST-80 refin: back from the dead!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doudoubass

Reaction score
Hi all Tokai lovers!
a few years ago, i bought this nice guitar from Japan, but she was in poor condition: scratched body paint, worn frets.
nonetheless, she sounded amazing and ringed like no other strat i used to have before this (Fender strat standard us, a Silverstar & another Goldstar).
Therefore, i decided to rescue that little beauty!

Firstly, my luthier made a refret with some vintage style frets and put real clay dot instead of the stock plastic wich looked cheap.
Secondly, i did my own refin for the body. I went with Ocean Turquoise (Motip can) for the paint and a thin nitro laquer for the finish. i did also a light relicing process to match the used neck finish.
Here is the result. That's really a wonderful instrument, and she plays like butter! :wink:

Before:
PICT6834.jpg

PICT6832.jpg

PICT6977.jpg

After:
TokaiTST-80.jpg

TokaiTST-801.jpg

TokaiTST-804.jpg

TokaiTST-803.jpg

TokaiTST-802.jpg

i'd be glad to see another TST-80 to compare with mine and to found a little TST-80 club! :D

thanks!
In real, the contrast between the nitro aged pickguard and the body paint is better and looks stunning! :p
Like a vintage Fender from the 60's...

really nice to see the original features kept (stickers, damaged logo) and it looks very similar to the standard Tokai metallic blue colour. Well done on the restoration

Iain

Here`s my Goldstar St 80.Nitro finished lightweight 2 piece alder body ,celluloid pickguard,slab board,original factory fitted Di Marzio black backed pickups.My pride and joy. Gabe.

Picture013.jpg
8)

very nice guitar. Slab board and '64 pickguard. They continued to mix features on goldstar too :)
Tokai fantastic world...

exactly like mine.
That's the 1st Strat wich rings and sustains like that!
Even unplugged, she sounds full and woody... 8)
... and i love that "D" shaped neck, slightly wider and flatter than other Springy & Goldstar "C" necks

Back