Hybrid tokai st's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony o'Riordan

Reaction score
Hello there, I have a tokai spring sound strat bought many years ago when I was living in Japan. I wanted to know if anyone could shed some light on this instrument as it seems to be a cross between a '57 and '64 strat. The fingerboard is rosewood with a skunk stripe on the back of the neck, there is a rosewood plug at the nut. The body is 2-tone sunburst, the pickguard is single ply white with 8 screws. It's an ST-80 model according to the black sticker on the neck. I bought it used and though I thought that it may have been assembled from different tokai parts, this doesn't make much sense as the neck is still a bit of an oddity. Any help would be appreciated, Tony

Hi Tony,
To help get a time frame on the guitar, could you let me know the logo style and serial#.
With the rosewood board, once it is past the nut, does the rosewood curve up, curve down or go straight? Are the 12th fret markers spaced to the edge of the fingerboard or closer together?
Is there a letter on the bottom of each pickup (which should be grey under the cover)
Any detailed photos you can post would definately help.
The neck is an oddity - but they were made by Fender and Tokai follwed suit.
regards
Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter, I've been away so couldn't get back to you sooner. I'm afraid I don't have a way of getting photos scanned, hope this description helps. The guitar has a 2-tone sunburst body and single-ply pickguard (8 screws, like a 50's strat). The saddles and machine-heads are stamped Tokai, the pick-ups are marked 'E'. The neck has a skunk stripe but has a rosewood fingerboard, neck is a 'v' shape. A friend has a L-series 'Goldstar' with a rosewood neck but the rosewood seems much thinner on mine. The dot markings at the 12th fret are further apart on mine compared to the Goldstar. The neck has a plug at the nut, as per a 50's strat. The string tree is round rather than the tunnel type ones that you see most often. Serial number is 0006149. I believe it to be an ST80(R) but wanted to know if there was ever a Fender Stratocaster equivalent (it does say 'an exact replica of the good old strat' on the decal) or whether it's Tokai's way of re-jigging the product to fit the Japanese market. Many thanks, Tony.

Back