Rare MB Headstock Strat-Can I learn more about this please?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcdeadcat

Reaction score
I would like to know what model it is and when it was made and anything else interesting about it (ie what the body is made of etc); according to the really useful online info and book, very few of these were shipped and I guess it must be early 80's as that was about when I bought it, but I cannot remember exactly. Good old touring days!

I went in to the nearest music shop to our hotel to replace an electronic tuner and picked up this very pretty strat. As my hand touched the action I knew I had found the Holy Grail. Half an hour later (or so) they had to peel me off it. In those days Fenders were rarely well set-up in shops but this Tokai's action was stunning straight off the wall (and it still is amazing).

I went back to the hotel with a new tuner and a new guitar so good that over the following years, I started to slowly part with most of my Fenders, Yamaha SG's and Gibsons and bought Tokai instead. (Two Fender Strats I regret parting with now (but for sentimental reasons): One black with white scratch (used on TOTPs and one all white maple neck, that was my first strat, but the Tokai was superior in my view. Anyway, I digress:

Metallic Blue including headstock
Rosewood fretboard
U stamp on grey bottom of pick-ups
Proper shaped headstock!
L14947
Deluxe Tuners
"Final Prospec" bridge saddles
One piece bridge
WBW 3 ply scratchplate - only shielded around the pots and five way switch
Open 5 way switch (stamped 381) - not an enclosed plastic block one
Pots are stamped A250KΩ

Is it a cellulose finish?

I really do not want to take the neck off because I would hate not to be able to get it back exactly as it now is!) The neck sticker I lost years ago.

In the pictures of the routing, there is a 'Patent Applied For' loose label.

Any helpful comments welcome (thumbnail photo's are clickable to larger size)

[/img]

Here it is plugged in? http://snd.sc/yl90IQ

Many thanks in advance for any comments or assistance.

Very interesting guitar.Could you tell us whether the fretboard is lam or slab?and if there is a brass plate under the pots?I may also have something interesting to tell you about the PAF sticker which dates from the production of the guitar.Gabe.

How do I tell whether the fretboard is lam or slab? It doesn't appear to be laminate to my eye though. The neck is one piece, with a rosewood(?) fretboard. (See photo)

Yes, the pots are on a brass plate, with rounded corners, mounted on the back of the scratchplate and does not extend much beyond the pots/switches.

Very interested to know what you know about the PAF and anything else please?

I have a DiMarzio stacked humber on the bridge and a couple of microswitches on it at the moment, helps with lead sounds and hum. Good sound. The switches choose between single pole or dual on the bridge and a phase option between that and the middle pup.

Oh and a very posy shortened 'Dave Gilmour type' whammy bar! (Which I much prefer)

:D

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_4996.jpg

IMG_4994.jpg

If the base of the fretboard as viewed straight on from the body end of the neck is curved then it`s lam, if it`s flat i.e. _ then it`s slab.I can`t tell from your photo what it is.Gabe.

Hi guys,

It would most likely be TST-60 and breaks down as TST-50 50000Y+5000Y for h'stock+5000Y for custom colour.
Year would be around 1983-E84, fingerboard is laminated, pickups are "U", colour code is in body cavity,

regards
Peter Mac

Hi both,

Here is a picture of the fingerboard from the body end. It looks like a laminated from the curve? I love the action too?.

Thanks for the TST-60 id and breakdown Peter. That is really useful. I love this guitar and would seek other similar ones, so the identification is great news.

IMG_5180.jpg

bluejeannot said:
Very interesting guitar.Could you tell us whether the fretboard is lam or slab?and if there is a brass plate under the pots?I may also have something interesting to tell you about the PAF sticker which dates from the production of the guitar.Gabe.

Please let me into the PAF sticker dating, thanks Gabe!

IMG_5016-1.jpg

You can hear it plugged in by clicking on this link:

http://snd.sc/yl90IQ or see a video at http://youtu.be/svZayRJ_fp0

Enjoy! :D

I've got one of these - it's still got the oval sticker with 55 (ST55). I haven't taken the scratchplate off in years but it definitely doesn't have a sticker with Patent Applied For in it. I got mine about 1986 from a shop in the midlands (near Birmingham). It played brilliantly and it looked a bit different to the rest of the stock. And it was within budget, around ?240 I think I paid.

I also have one from the same batch as yours Serial L14371, it has the same body codes 9=3 MB V. The neck sticker is worn, though I also have an earlier Block Logo Blue headstock Goldstar from 1983, which has a 60 sticker.
Do you have a picture of the neck code on yours ?

lifeline said:
I also have one from the same batch as yours Serial L14341, it has the same body codes 9=3 MB V. The neck sticker is worn, though I also have an earlier Block Logo Blue headstock Goldstar from 1983, which has a 60 sticker.
Do you have a picture of the neck code on yours ?

Gosh thanks for that info, really useful. I am afraid I have never had the neck of it, I am too chicken!

Hi guys,
I for one would be most interested to see the neck and body codes from your guitar, Snr Gato Muetes.
This type of guitar (painted headstock) only ran for a little over 2 years and had 4 defineing periods
1982 - Springy spaghetti
1983 - Springy BLOCK
L'83 - Goldstar BLOCK
E'84 - Goldstar Script.
As these 4 models cover the transition from Springy to Goldstar, all info is incredibly vital to breaking down a timeline...and you guys have enough guitars between you to really get the ball rolling.
please PM me if you prefer not to display your info publicly.
regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,
I for one would be most interested to see the neck and body codes from your guitar, Snr Gato Muetes.
This type of guitar (painted headstock) only ran for a little over 2 years and had 4 defineing periods
1982 - Springy spaghetti
1983 - Springy BLOCK
L'83 - Goldstar BLOCK
E'84 - Goldstar Script.
As these 4 models cover the transition from Springy to Goldstar, all info is incredibly vital to breaking down a timeline...and you guys have enough guitars between you to really get the ball rolling.
please PM me if you prefer not to display your info publicly.
regards
Peter Mac

Peter,

Mine is U pickups (as opposed to L or E?) - Goldstar Script or Block please? (I am not familiar with the terms sorry)

Hi Cat,
The logo in the first lot of pics is Goldstar script - essentially the same logo used on all Goldstars since 1983.
If yours is different please send a pic and I can decypher it for you.
Any luck with the other codes and serial numbers?

regards
Peter Mac

bluejeannot said:

Hi, can you tell me more about the PAF loose sticker please?

Hi Peter & Cat

Excellent dead cat alley reference :wink:

OK, here's a picture of my Block and Script Goldstars plus neck and body codes for L14371 (script) notice no 'MBH' on the neck code.

DSCN1546-1.jpg

100_9552.jpg

DSCF0163.jpg
[/code]

Back