tokai SG

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 century boy said:
hi guys
Does anyboy knows if this one:
is made in japan or made in Korea? I have a doubt...
I wonder if a Japanese SG copy would use alder and maple for body and neck. The pickups look strange on that picture, too, obviously some kind of P-90 wannabe. Last but not least the bridge/tailpiece combo isn't original style either, as far as I know.

20 century boy said:
it's the same as sold on Tokai uk
That one at least has a mahogany neck and body for RRP 599.00. In the meantime I've found a picture in a special Gibson issue of the german "Gitarre & Bass" magazine with a new Pete Townsend signature model which he had smashed in Woodstock back then. It also has a wrap-around bridge/tailpiece and P-90s, but a bigger pickguard which can hold the pickups with two screws, not these strange looking pickup rings.

These one-piece bridges were probably used as an easy replacement for the original vibrato units if a guitarist didn't like them. I think SGs would usually have a stop tailpiece if it didn't have a vibrato, but this affords two new holes in the body.

[Edit]As usual this site knows all about it:
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson5.html#sgspec

I do not know this guitar. I also do not know what the seller means with SG35 "S".

If it is a SG35, then it has a body of Nato and a neck as well of Nato, which is bolt on. And the guitar is made in Korea. Pickups are MK4.

The guitar is a Korean made copy of a mid-60's SG special. It is actually very accurate in detail. The P-90's were often seen in Specials from that era. The pick guard looks generally correct and the wrap-around bridge/ tailpiece is correct too (at least from the lousy picture). They even got the oval plastic knob kluson-type tuners right. Based on my MIK Tokai SG-35 which is an infinitely better guitar that my Gibson SG faded Special and almost as good as my SG Classic (also with P-90's), I'd take a flyer on that guitar. If it was only in the US..... I love Korean made Tokais. I hope you MIJ Tokai fans keep on trashing them so the prices stay low. The MIJ's are way over-rated and the MIK's are way under appreciated. That's why you need to do your homework, though. I do wish Tokai had left off one detail on this guitar. The combo bridge/ tailpiece is impossible to intonate correctly. The Gibson Classic has a stop tail with a Nashville-type bridge. It's stays in tune berautifully.

Back