Tokai TST80 special edition

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw1966

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group since I've just picked up my first Tokia on ebay and wondered if anyone could clarify a few things regarding the special edition models.

Here's the listing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Sup...al_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e6b46146f

It's all complete unmolested and in excellent condition. I've searched around and it appears to be identical to the prototype listed in the Tokia 1984 catalogue TST series page. The bridge is Tokai branded but looks exactly like an ayre's rocker 1

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html

Pic i took today

22022012169.jpg

Is this guitar basically the same as the Goldstar tst80 of the same year but with the all black paint job, gold hardware and locking bridge/nut ?

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm based in London. Thanks in advance for any replies with info on this model.

Congratulations, that's a really nice unmolested superstrat and I think you've done really well there. Next time you change strings have a look under the pickups, they are probably DiMarzio.

Thanks guys , I loved the look of this guitar and would have paid more to win the auction . On the neck It it has a black oval '80' sticker and a white 'made in japan' underneath, also a supplier plate from Allbang and Strummit WC2 on the tremolo cover which looks original since it has the old 01 london dialcode (this changed in 1990). I'm going to change the strings over the next couple of days and will take a look at the pickups .. how do I tell if they are DiMarzio ?

Thanks for the info gabe , Ok I finally got around to changing the strings and took the opportunity to peek inside. It has the V series pickups rather than the DiMarzio.I've seen a lot mentioned about U and E pickups but not V , also does anyone know what the BB V 3-70 in the body cavity refers to ?

04032012172.jpg

04032012173.jpg

04032012171.jpg

04032012180.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info.

Well done Jackdaw, a very nice Super Edition you purchased, rare with 3 single coil V pickups, normally found on Goldstars. Could you repost the cavity picture showing the codes please.

Regarding your question about codes: BB is the colour code, 3-7 refers to the production date March 7, the year taking into account serial no: 1984.

Thanks for the follow up info lifeline, that ties in with the 1984 TST catalogue pictures. I moved the body cavity pic when I added the guitar to the registry. I've changed the link so it should now be visible in this post

I don't believe I've seen this on the forum, so here's a cutting I kept from either Sounds or Melody Maker in 1985 by Carol Segal, which I hope will be of interest.

UKSounds85.jpg

Many thanks also for posting the cavity code picture, this is of particular of interest to me as I have a TST60 Goldstar from the same production period with a neck cavity code 3-4

100_9145-1.jpg

Wow! Many thanks lifeline, that article clarifies a lot about these early super editions. At least I can say it's a TST80 with some confidence now. I guess mine was produced before they developed the ET tremolo system since it has the Tokia branded bridge unit with the fine tuner assembly.

Hi. Everyone

Sorry for digging up an old post but have just got a super
Edition exactly the same as jackdaw that I am very excited
About body code 3 . 1 BB Y also has Y drawn on in neck pocket.

Anyone know relavance of Y?

Can anyone pm or post carol Segars
Cut out ?

Appears that body finished in nitro is this usual?

Many thanks in advance for your replies😀

H i,I think iit is a V stamp not a Y as it refers to to the V stamped pickups which replaced the Es on later 80 Tokais and yes it is normal for an 80 as is it considered to be a higher spec model to be finished in nitro.

Thanks for response Gabe.

Does anyone have any experience repairing black nitro finish
Gig bag had stuck to back when previous owner stored guitar
And has left marks in finish.

Could I spray over existing or should I leave well alone.

Experts please?

Found a UK supplier of Virtuoso cleaner and polish that did a brilliant job of
Removing bits of fluff/vinyl that was stuck to back and buffed to a shine.

Can't buff any more without removing black top coat. Looks worse in pics at a glance can't notice that much unless you hold it up to the light.

I've got an old Black Greco LP that has some dings in it that show bare wood. I've never been that concerned about it personally but i'm betting i could put some black nail polish on the spots and blend it in to the finish for a cheap fix.

If you are not confident then do not attempt. Words of advice.

Back