1980 Love Rock vs Reborn Old

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xyrium

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm in the market for a guitar with a medium C type neck carve, medium to long tenon neck joint, 1 pc back, and clear coat with preferably a honeyburst, tobaccoburst or desert burst type of finish.

Do both the Love Rock and Reborn Old LS80 model of 1980 have a 1 piece back and medium tenon? Similar neck carve (59ish)?

Thanks!
Paul

The key for the LS series is the model number. The model name changed quickly a couple times in the first three years.

So an LS-80 Les Paul Reborn = LS-80 Reborn Old = LS-80 Love Rock if they are from the same time period (pre-1983).

They all have nitro finish and one-piece back (with some rare exceptions).

correct, theres no difference really from 79-82 for that model just a couple of minor changes, tuners want from double ring to single, name changed and after 79 they used acrylic inlays not MOP

That's good news, thanks guys. I think I may have just landed myself a 1980 LR LS-80 then.

I might not know for sure until I get my hands on it this week. It has FEB and a claimed one piece back, with Tokai on the headstock and a seemingly valid serial number indicating manufacture in 1980.

I'll have to give the back a good scan once it arrives. If I find a seam, I guess I've been duped, at certainly not a low price. I'll post a few pics from the ad when I get home.

Agreed, I figured that was it's saving grace, regardless of what it turns out to be.

Back