SE800 neck shape

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juni41

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would like to ask a question to SE800 Super Real owners.

I'v got one of theses very nice Greco strat and I have read that they are supposed to have a very fat V neck.
I was expecting this shape when I got my SE800 however it has a really fat neck but I feel it was definitely not a V shape.

So I check the neck shape with a simple trick using a soldering wire and here is my SE800 neck shape:
se800neckshape.jpg

Also inside the 1981 Super Real catalog you can see this picture about neck shape of SE800 and SE1200 strats:
se1200neckshape.jpg

I believe this picture feature a SE800 neck shape to the right and a SE1200 to the left (but I'm not sure of this).

So my question is do you all have a fat V neck on your SE800?

SE800 is on left,SE1200 on right
you can also see where it describes it as 1954 for the SE800 and 1958 for the V neck SE1200

Don't shoot the messenger :wink: but In Japanese it actually says the 1954 SE800 neck is a triangular shape and the 1958 SE1200 is a rounded shape. It doesn't say which is which in the picture but that is the description.

The SE800 I had was definitely more of a V shape though I never modelled the profile but it is sure possible that something got switched at the factory. Most of the SE1200 necks I have seen were very flamed though.

Thank wulfman. :)

Well as you can see mine is definitely not a V shape.. I mean.. I can live without this spec but I was very curious to play one of theses famous chunky V neck. Bad luck.

I have seen 3 SE1200, pretty rare guitars, and as far as I remember they were all with a highly flamed C shape neck.

Hey, just interested - would anyone of you be so kind to measure the thickness of his/ her SE800 or SE1200 neck at first and 12th fret .. ? (measuring heigth without the fret itself)

Everyone?s perception of neck sizes is a bit different, so I wanna know the facts :)

chris you can tell if its a 800 or a 1000 by the neck, if its got flame its a 1000, if it has not its an 800.. this was true for the superreals anyway, also the pre 80 i think had the model number on the backplate..

Yeah my 77 Super Sounds has no model # on the plate.
Generally they put stickers on the backs of the headstock's (like my 78 SE600) but this one does not have that either...removed I suspect.
I have found one tell tale sign of higher models and that is the higher spec'ed SE's came stock with Schaller tuners, not the Greco Deluxe Kluson style.

I also have a literally new un-used heavily birdseyed 70's Super Sounds neck that had Schaller tuners on it and it is factory nitro'ed.
Also have a 1980 Super Real rosewood neck as well...that is fat and round.
The one on my 800/1000 is a fat V

Before

5576355464_e8ae36732a_z.jpg

After my refin

6867137135_a0338716c7_z.jpg

Side note, my 77 SE800/1000 has Excels as per usual but these Excels have no serial # on them and are smaller than a standard single coil.
I have the Serial coded Excels as well and those are the same size as a regular single coil.
Anyone else have these smaller ones?
They sound better than the full sized version to my ears.

I don't plays strats so much, but that greco is always on the rack in the studio, along with a duncan strat thats very nice, but they are like 2 different guitars to play, the duncans got a nice fattish fender C, and you think ah yes old familier territory, then you pick up the greco and its like WTF this necks huge!! lol,

I've got an se800 I bought from ryanC and it definitely has a "sharp V" if that makes sense. I've never found another guitar with a neck like it. The fender V necks they do nowadays feel like a C comparatively. Exceptional guitar tone-wise, but not as easy to play as a usa fender at least with my hands. What's comfortable is different for everyone. It's my go-to strat.

My se800 is the V shape on the right of that picture and is 25mm at the first fret and almost straight from there. Because of the lack of shoulder though, it doesn't feel that big. I like it but i'd prefer it a bit softer, i.e., a slightly wider flat area near the center. What I have now is a medium V (not quite hard which is pretty close to a triangle), but a soft V would be ideal.

Latest posts

Back