Goldstar, 84? ST50? Help needed on model and year...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7238

Reaction score
Hello All, recently picked up this tidy Goldstar. It was sold to me as an '84, by a very honest local guitar shop. It needed a really good clean up, was certainly a gigging guitar in it's previous life and looked a little sorry for itself, looking a lot happier now though.

I've spent a while looking at other posts here, and to me it looks like at least an ST50, though the 'VI' stamped pickups are throwing me when it comes to the year.

I've not taken the neck off, not that brave, and I haven't done the test to check if it's poly or nitro on the body.

I can say that it looks to be two piece, is a nice 'brown sunburst' finish, has 'Deluxe' tuners, 'Final Prospec' saddles, cloth wiring from the pickups, a five digit serial on the neck plate, and the later script logo.

All looks to be original. Plays very well, nice chunky neck, though the pickups are the most prone to electrical interference I've ever heard!

Any input gratefully received :) .

IMG-20120220-00103.jpg

IMG-20120220-00102.jpg

IMG-20120220-00101.jpg

IMG-20120220-00100.jpg

IMG-20120220-00099.jpg

IMG-20120220-00098.jpg

IMG-20120220-00097.jpg

IMG-20120220-00096.jpg

IMG-20120220-00095.jpg

Hi Arron, very nice guitar.
In my opinion some feature, particularly engraved pots not inked, "VI" pick ups and serial number, suggests the first half of 1985. But here some Guitar God can help you better...

The GS colour code is Golden Sunburst. Is there no number sticker on the back of the neck? From your photos it is not easy to see how many pieces the body is - any joins? This will tell you if it is a higher model

It looks like a two piece body. There is a join visible between the D and G string intonation screws in the last picture.

Thanks for the input so far. It's definitely a two piece body, it's a nicely done join but easily visible.

There's no number sticker at the heel of the neck, or 'Made in Japan' sticker.

Hope we can nail it down out of curiosity, certainly won't be selling the guitar as it's the nicest Strat I've played.

Thanks again :) .

iainblack said:
So a two piece body means it's an ST60 at least.

Thanks Iain. Am I right in assuming that if it was an ST80 it would have the Dimarzio VS-1's and not 'stamped' pickups? If so I think it's fair to assume I have a 60.

Thanks for your continued input.

Great guitar. Yes they do like to buzz a bit, but I wouldn't change the shielding personally - enjoy as is!

So a two piece body means it's an ST60 at least.

Do you think, iainblack, that it couldn't be a st50? Mine has two piece of ash...
See this thread... http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19468

:roll:

what shape neck has it got, v or u?
my st was relegated down the ranks last week from a 70, to a 60, to a 50, and finally to a 40!
like yours, mine has a 2 piece body, with slotted tuners.
:-?

Yep, if only the first owners had left the stickers on!

Today I took the guitar in to the local shop for a setup, chap there thinks two piece alder body, and perhaps a nitro finish due to the wear and dullness of the finish on the body in relation to the condition of the neck and frets (not refretted though I don't think.

I know the most important thing is that the guitar plays and sounds how you like it, but it's still good to know what's what.

A 2-piece body is possible on a TST50/55 for 1985. A TST-60 Goldstar (maple) should have 4 digit serial number and the pickups were either E on the early ones and plain V on the later ones.

what's a 2 piece body with a 6 digit serial number, slotted tuners, 8 hole pickguard and round string tree ?

Hi Arron nice guitar St 50 , probably lateI984 as brass plate was dropped later.Poly finished ,nice guitar.Gabe.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input on the guitar, it's now back from a having a setup and plays and sounds great.

Cleaned up really well too, and the corrosion has been gently removed from the saddles with a really fine wire wool. Was is quite poor shape when I picked it up, but it will be loved and played from now on :).

tokai_marshall.jpg

Back