ANOTHER PHANTOM PICKUP REVIEW

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phantom

Reaction score
Would love to know everyone's opinions.
There are 4 files.
Which do you like between File 1 and 2
and which do you like between File 3 and 4
So pick 1 of each and also tell my your favorite 2 out of the 4
Then Ill let you in on what they are.
Hopefully I didnt reveal the file names like I did before.
So have a listen fellas, and let the Phantom know.

*******************THE PHANTOM**********************

http://www.mediafire.com/file/drq3lhx6ikv3qkx/Test File 1.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fb44fnlb7y4nym/Test File 2.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tv1ncg82v166vo3/Test File 3.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v2llk26gor6hkh5/Test File 4.mp3

I still cannot understand how anyone may compare the quality and the sound of a guitare pickup when the sound is overdriven like that.
In this case, you only test the the pedal and/or the amp connected, the way these electronics react to the pickup, not the pickups themselves.

^ depends on the pickup

there's not much point in testing, say, an EMG set clean since most people are going to use it distorted

I also completely disagree that you're only testing the pedal or amp distortion. A pickup which is voiced for heavy distortion is going to sound way better than a pickup which is more voiced for vintage tones, when dialled in with a heavy distortion. you're clearly testing the pickup too.

The Phantom is in total agreement with Dave.

And to make things clearer dombat there is no pedals.
Its one cord, 1 amp 1 guitar

I'm not asking you whether you think the shootout should have drive or not.
I am asking you to post your favorite.
If you are unable to do that. Understood.

Still waiting for the heavyweights to see how good your ear is now boys ?

********************THE PHANTOM************************

Awesome thanks for your reply and opinion Japaxe. I'll post what I used once we get some more reviews.

The Phantom thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys is anyone familiar with Zshare
I keep uploading files
then the links are dead the following day
The Phantom wants to know

Would love to get some opinions in today
The Phantom will be disclosing the guitar and pickup info tomorrow EST

and only 1 review

Thanks to Jap Axes for that
I will pm you what guitars and pickups I used

The Phantom smells disappointment.

My uneducated feedback so Mr. Phantom gets more than one reply and gets rewarded for the nice comparison effort.

My ranking: 4, 2, 3, 1

I really like #4 especially during the second half of the test, for the 1st half they all sound good to me.

my two cents.....

Thanks Oligo
here are the results

Test Clip # 1 My Tokai Love Rock #1 with BG Pups Pafs
then
using the same amp setting I swapped those out and put the Dry Z's in
Test clip # 2 is My tokai Love Rock # 1 with Dry Z's

Test Clip # 3 is my Tokai Made Greco with BG Pups Pafs
using the same amp setting I swapped those out and put the Dry Z's in

Test clip # 4 is my Tokai Made Greco with the Dry Z's

There you have it
It was only 2 guitars and 2 sets of pickups

********************THE PHANTOM****************************

Phantom said:
and only 1 review

Thanks to Jap Axes for that
I will pm you what guitars and pickups I used

The Phantom smells disappointment.

Don't take offense to this.... but it's a bit tedious with the third party talk, the "here's me playing, guess the pickups", etc. Again, I'm not meaning any offense - it would be nice to know who you really are, talk in a normal manner because you obiviously know your way around a guitar and you hold alot of knowledge we can all benefit from.... but it's like reading from a comic book some time.

Oh Marcus,
you've been a stick in the mud since day 1

First of all this isn't as forum for quarreling (I'm sure Ned wouldn't appreciate it). but I really love the fact that someone gives a **** to be doing this in the first place (Way to go Ned!!!!!)
We appreciate that you've created this forum and everything you've done, although we shoulld acknowledge it more often.

I posted my prized possession # 1 Tokai Love Rock
trying to find out what model and what year it could be
and your first response to me was a sarcastic "Its a guitar"

and that kind of continued down the line.
So it's that kind of behavior that makes me stay anonymous.

And second of all I speak in the 3rd person just for fun that's all. Your the only on it seems to bother. Life's too short. You'll know who I am soon enough. Chill out.

I choose to remain anonymous at the moment and I have that prerogative. And I have my reasons why. There are some forum members who do know who I am and respect my privacy.
And I promise I will never engage in this kind of pissing match. I just thought I should state my claim.

So please don't take offense to any of this. It's all in good fun, and if you don't like it you don't have to read or respond to my posts.
I will reveal my identity eventually but not just yet. And by the way, I was in your backyard in June, so for all I know we may have met.

So where was I, what was the order of the files that you liked?

*****************Still and always*******************************

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@THE PHANTOM@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Woaoo Amazing!!

What I find interesting is that in my ears the BG pups sound sensibly different when mounted on the two guitars while the Dry Z's sound more similar.

Was it also your feeling when you hear them live?

If yes, would one say Dry Z's will sound great in any guitar, but yield more or less always the same sound while BGs may be less predictable but will be more revealing of the soul of the guitar?

BTW I like those blind tests, one should also try to compare ALS vs. LS or reborn vs. Love rock, etc.....

Hey Oligo, your right. The BG's react differebtly in different guitars. I've only had the leisure to put the Dry Z's in these 2 so far and I would venture to say that they sound how they sound and I believe that was refelected in both guitars. I would love to do some live clips of both to see what results we would get.

So that should be the next shootout.

ALS vs LS vs Reborn etc , great idea.

Hey Oligo, thanks for being a stand up guy and taking the time.
your opinion is appreciated.

Regards,,
The Phantom

Oh Marcus,
you've been a stick in the mud since day 1

That's rather haughty of you to say. In the almost 9 years here on this forum, I'm sure most would say that I'm rather even keeled, post substantive information and have a sense of humor. I'm not prone to sarcastic or smart assed remarks - I'd love to see that post you refer too because I can't find it - however if I did say that, then you might have caught me on a bad day as we mortals sometimes have. But I did find plenty of "nice guitar" comments from me on your photos.

First of all this isn't as forum for quarreling

Who's quarreling?? I gave an honest comment and you obviously took offense.

and that kind of continued down the line.
So it's that kind of behavior that makes me stay anonymous

Bro, if you get that easliy offended on this very civil forum compared to some of the others out there that would chew you up and have to hide behind anonymity, that's pretty funny. It also appears that you've picked up your toys and left the sandbox before:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18738&highlight=

Oh, and if you're in my back yard again, look me up, let me shake your hand and buy you a beer. That's how we do it here in Texas.

Latest posts

Back