My Yin-Yang Silverstars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chum

Reaction score
Hi to All,

I posted a while back about my Springy Sound. Well, I have since added two more Tokais to my collection.

My 1981 Silver Star... I am unsure of what the model is, and I hope the Silver Star experts can help me ID it... The routing of the pickup cavities look squarish... I will try to post a pic of the routing and innards later on...
SilverStar1-1.jpg

SilverStar2-1.jpg

SilverStar3-1.jpg

SilverStar4-1.jpg

The previous owner assured me that the electronics were stock. The pickups have black bobbins (sorry no pic), with Black and Blue wires...
SilverStar5-1.jpg

The neck unfortunately has been refinished... I usually prefer them looking worn or played...
SilverStar6-1.jpg

SilverStar7-1.jpg

SilverStar8-1.jpg

The back has a lot of scratches from belt buckling...
SilverStar9-1.jpg

SilverStar10-1.jpg

SilverStar11-1.jpg

SilverStar12-1.jpg

SilverStar13-1.jpg

SilverStar14-1.jpg

Up next: my 1982...
SilverStar1.jpg

SilverStar2.jpg

SilverStar3.jpg

Stock pickups and hardware, except for the saddles, which I replaced with generic bent saddles... Interestingly, the pickups have black bobbins too, same as the previous one, but the wires on them are Red and White...
SilverStar4.jpg

The headstock:
SilverStar5.jpg

SilverStar6.jpg

SilverStar7.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the neck, with the wear showing...
SilverStar8.jpg

The body has been refinished. Unfortunately, it was also roughly chiseled by the former owner to accommodate a humbucker... So my local guitar tech suggested we just route away the rough bits... This is way lighter than the other Silver Star, but tonewise, sounds quite good...
SilverStar9.jpg

SilverStar10.jpg

SilverStar11.jpg

SilverStar12.jpg

SilverStar13.jpg

And here's my daughter, guarding "Her" Tokai...
SilverStar14.jpg

Thanks for looking! All comments welcome! I would especially appreciate an ID of both, as I am not sure what models they are.

Chum

Hello, looking like a nice pair of SS-36 strats u have, the F-key tuners and the year suggest ss-36 to me, the black bobbin pups i don't know, usually would expect to see grey bobbins with an H (tokai HOT) stamped after about 1982 crunch. The tokai Hot pups are really vintage output of around 5.4kOhms maybe less?
The only black bobbin Silver Stars I have seen are the higher end SS-80 which have the flat pole FS-1 DiMarzio's (very hot), not suggesting yours are though.
I love that vintage white Star with the tortoise pickguard, very alike SRV Scotch 8)

Beautiful guitars, and superb pics!
The first one is indeed a low end model for the ones with a '1' as second digit are, like the LS inkies, not produced at the Nagano factory which only did the low end models.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the kind words...

So, probably SS36? Good to know...

Hi Iain, here are a few new pics I took of the Springy Sound:

Springy1.jpg

Springy2.jpg

Springy3.jpg

From the rear:
Springy9.jpg

Springy11.jpg

Springy12.jpg

Springy13.jpg

Springy14.jpg

And here be the pair:
YinYang1.jpg

YinYang2.jpg

YinYang6.jpg

Just look at neck/body joint and you could find more info (codes) and model should be in body cavitie(first one).

I like Silver Stars a lot, I had several of them. Great bang for the buck.

wow, great looking set. the springy is absolutely gorgeous. i regret selling my ss ... great pics too

Love those black Silver Stars from 82 - great players even after 30+ years. I found min need to have a new nut - [done to 2.6mm from bottom of all strings and following the fret board/fret curve... and found that to be perfect - first fret not going out of tune and whole guitar not buzzing anymore on the high strings (plus I set up all my guitars to 2.5 - 2.6mm string height).]
I sprayed a little car engine lubricant into the tuners on mine which hadn't been maintained in those 30 years lol, - Japan very humid... and the were really sticky/loose jerky - but since then are like new :)
Since those to fixes the only other thing I did on mine, which was black with b/w/b pickgaurd - totally stock, but has some back buckle rash on the back - which I expanded a little to see the grain as everyone was saying the early 82's were made out of Japanese basswood [I cant remember what they call it] - but low and behold I found it was alder.

Mine had the neck stamps and cavity stamps to confirm its legit etc, so a little concerned yours doesn't - but hey a lot happens in 30 years and as long as they stay in tune and play/sound like SRV/Hendrix classic strat sound you are in guitar heaven - great find - and no doubt great playas.

Love the Silver Stars!!!!

PS: having the springs set up the way you have all pointing into the middle is counter productive, they need to line up straight so you wont get any odd noises or issues.
You don't have to but I find the best set up if your happy too is this:
Make sure the 3 springs [if you only have 3] are on BOTH connectors 1 - 3 - 5.
With the "claw" at the neck end don't have it right up to the body/neck end - but unscrew it to about 2 - 2.5 inches away - don't worry if you see screw its all good just don't go too far- you should notice the springs stay tight - I don't know anyone who like their strat bridge to float [but hey its yours so keep slacking the springs if you want]
What I do is use the adjustment above making sure the springs are still tight - but are just on the border of about to float, it stays in tune - I get no springy sounds through to the amp and find I can pull up just a fraction [if your entertaining people love it - after all, we play for enjoyment right?]

Anyway enough rambling - do as you like - just some suggestions - as its nice to have things operating to max performance!

Latest posts

Back