Dating My Tokai Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flingel

Reaction score
I am trying to narrow down the age of my Tokai Springy Sound. I believe it's around 1980 model. It has a five digit serial number 10826 on the neck plate which seems to suggest it's a copy of a 1956-60 model and a "50" on the back of the neck where it connects to the body. Is there a way to date this actual guitar?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have

Thanks. I am new on here and realise you cannot post pics direct from PC. I will email you a couple.

Marcus, many thanks. The second link was very useful and I think strongly suggests mine was manufactured in 1982.

I PMd you back, it is 1982 indeed.
BTW the second link with serials turned out to be not correct recently so don't use it as an absolute.

Hi guys,
Jacco is correct - this is 1982 Springy.
Furthermore it is an ST-50 with a U-shaped Maple neck and should be one of 5 colours YSO, GS, BB, MR or OW. Pickups will be grey based with the letter 'U' stamped on them. It is modelled after the 1958 Str@t

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks guys. You have been really helpful. The guitar itself is black, with black pickguard, one-piece maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Also have a Greco strat and a Les Paul....their numbering system makes it very easy to date them

Oh...that's unusual.
A Springy ST-50 rosewood board should have an L+5 digit serial number - not just 5 digits. I have seen literally 100's of ST-50 with rosewood boards and ALL have this sequence unless they were altered at some stage.
Also the scratch plate should be 3 ply white.

regards
Peter

Flingel said:
Thanks. I am new on here and realise you cannot post pics direct from PC. I will email you a couple.

I use Photobucket. It's free to host your pics and provides the links you can paste straight into the forum - really easy and straightforward and free forever! There are other picture hosting sites too. I's worth sharing pics on the forum - it helps everyone help each other. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back