Pickups in YOUR Tokai's?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emiel

Reaction score
Some say the original pickups in the LS80's and above are not spectacular good. But who did replace the pickups in his Reborn (Old) or Love Rocks? With what? How would you describe the difference?

Soon I'll be on the market for some replacement pickups for my 1980 LS-80, and would like to know what pickups you are using in your oldies :)

Wolfetone Dr. Vs, these suit the guitar great. An improvement no doubt.

I?d also recomend Rolph 58 ones, great pickups also. I had these in a recent high end Tokai with very good results.Vintage style sounding.

Resp. Kloppmann 58 set in my 1979 LS80, original DiMarzio PAFs in my 1981 LS100 VF, original DiMarzio PAF in the neck & Kloppmann 59 in the bridge of my 1981 LS100 OR.

Original DiMarzios in my '81 LS120 until I get the Dry-Zs I bought today.
I like the DiMarzios, but they squeal a bit, we'll see how the Zs sound...

At the moment Amber Classic Rock in my LS3, not totally satisfied with them, got some Shed PAF Daddys coming... The original Faber PAF Vintage are pretty weak sounding.

Seymour Duncan 59 PAF reissues (since 1990) in my 1985 Love Rock.

The originals were nice, but the bass on the SD's is a little less wooly and has more responsive 'bite'.
It is one of those things that really only reveal themselves on gigs when 'competing' with the drums, bass etc.

barks

Wolfetone Legends
Wolfetone Dr V's
Tom Holmes H450/H455
Peter Florance VooDoo 59s

Multiple (Tokai) guitars with each.

Also, changed capacitors to NOS PIO or current Russian PIO.

Love Rock LS 150 with Jon Moore customwound pickups.You can try it out in march :wink:

Tokai 57PAF PUs sound very good to me. +1
On both my ls & lc I have these pups and they serve me well

Had a 1980 LS60 for a while, that I'd installed a pair of Bare Knuckle Emerald pickups into. When I sold the LS60, the original pickups went back in and the Emerald's went into my '99 LS70. They're still in there quite a few years later, so they must be good! :wink:

Latest posts

Back