Nitro finish - does it affect tone significantly?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chu71

Reaction score
I ve read a few articles that affirm so, is there any truth tp this? I don t have similar guitars with Nitro finish and poly finish, so i have no way to test it ...

I have both and like both. There are great sounding poly guitars, and average sounding nitro guitars. I don't think you can say one finish sounds better although on guitar might sound better.

I have played and heard many wonderful ST-50 and LS-60 guitars. One of my all time favorites is an LS-60. So there is no need for bias against the poly finished guitars.

One thing I do like about the Tokai nitro finish guitars is the feel and look is a bit more vintage, and the materials and specs are just a bit higher which can make for a more enjoyable instrument to own.

The topic has been debated countless times and on countless forums including this one.

The conclusive answer is:

Yes.... No..... Maybe.....Maybe Not......

I guess tone is such a voodoo thing ... a luthier friend of mine said he s tested sound waves on oscillators from guitars he put together with say same neck, hardware, and electronics, but different bodies (1, 2, 3 pieces, of same wood) and that differences were so small on paper that you could only argue the differences from a subjective point of view

I know someone who did as well but the results can only mean something when linked to the sensitivity of human perception.
And you will be surprised by the extent of human perception, especially when it's focussed

I guess I just prefer a guitar to be nitro-finished 'cause the old Gibson's always were. Whether it makes any difference to the sound...I don't have a clue.

And what about glue, they reckon glue affects tone significantly? What glue was used on old Tokai's - anyone know?

:-? :cry: :oops: :(

I prefer nitro, especially the type used on vintage Tokai's, for it feels better in my hands. I have 2 guitars refinished in nitro because of that.

Nitro contains mojo. If your guitar does not have nitro, you won't have mojo.

People have always wondered where mojo comes from, now you know. ;)

Indeed. Not just the OP's inquiry from 3 months ago, but also the mystique surrounding mojo.

That said, if one enters a listing in the classified section, they are not allowed to state that the item they're selling has mojo, unless it has a nitro finish. :lol:

I have nitro on TE-200 and it have nice feeling but it is not much durable :( Sound difference can hear propably just bats.

Back