Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much would it cost to get a quality sanding...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xstaygold
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: how much would it cost to get a quality sanding... Reply with quote

..and refinishing on a guitar?
ian
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanding should be easy DIY job. For refinishing there are numerous guys doing good work in the US (far fewer in UK, & almost none anywhere else). Mark Jenny is well known amongst Tele players http://www.mjtelecaster.com/. Otherwise, Greenwich Village Custom Guitars also have a good rep. http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/GreenwichVillage.htm. And RS Guitar Works is also well known http://www.rsguitarworks.net/ . In USA ?Guitar Reranch? has full range of finishing products (& great instructions), and pretty easy to do it yourself that way for around $50 (expect to pay 5 to 10 times more for a pro. Job) .

Ian.
20 century boy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best guitar maker and repairmen are in japan.
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think guitar refinishers are a dime a dozen, probably even more so in California. I'll bet any guitar store you walk into, they'll say, "Umm..sure we can refinish your guitar for you...I guess". Now, entering the rariefied atmosphere of the top pro refinishers, you'd find, among others, Scott Lentz (in CA) and RS Guitarworks - both probably very busy. I think when you talk to players in every geographical pocket, they've all got a line on their special guy - "Yeah, take it to him, man. He's one of the best!". And they'd be right, there are a lot of guys that can do a righteous job.

Good luck with the work, xstaygold. It's exciting to have a guitar you like and get to pretty it up just the way you want it.
xstaygold
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novosel wrote:
Good luck with the work, xstaygold. It's exciting to have a guitar you like and get to pretty it up just the way you want it.

thanks

all i want to do is get it sanded and get a gibson white finish

how much would it cost just to get this done well?
Novosel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never having got a guitar refinished, I couldn't honestly tell you what it would cost - you'd have to get few quotes. But if you're going with a white finish, you've opened your options a lot. It's the properly done sunburst Les Paul-type finish that requires the real expert touch, but if it were mine and I was looking for a white refinish, I'd try a bunch of places - checking, of course, the quality of work that they'd already done.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a strat, you could get a local garage to respray the body dirt cheap.

On a les paul style, it's a bit harder - the binding and set neck will push up the price, though it'd still be cheaper than a 'burst finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: