Noob question: 2004 Burny RLG-90 - How good is it?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarF666

Reaction score
Greetings Everybody,

for quite a while now I am looking for a Les Paul guitar and because Gibsons are far too expensive I focused on Japanese replicas. But those are quite hard to find here in Germany (unless anyone got a hint for me).
But I finally found someone selling 2 2004 Burny RLG-90. Finding information on the internet about the quality of these guitars was quite hard to impossible. But maybe here somebody can help me? The price he wants is about 900,-€ (~ 1150,- $). Please help, I am a dedicated Telecaster fan but I first used a Les Paul this weekend live and loved it, so I'm in an hurry.

Thanks
Martin

StarF666 said:
Please help, I am a dedicated Telecaster fan but I first used a Les Paul this weekend live and loved it, so I'm in an hurry.
Hi Martin, welcome to the forum! :wink: If you use the search function with "Burny Les Paul", you'll probably find a lot of threads dealing with these guitars. But don't forget to click on "Search ALL terms", then the list will only be 45 threads long.

As far as I know, they are of the same build quality as the Tokais, but I've never seen or played one myself.

Hello HJ, Gr??e nach Hamburg.

I'll stick to English for this forum is so.
I should of course have used the search function first (and did so, now) but I mostly found information there about older guitars, but I am interested in the newer models as the guitar that was offered me is built in 2004.

Regards
Martin

StarF666 said:
I should of course have used the search function first (and did so, now) but I mostly found information there about older guitars, but I am interested in the newer models as the guitar that was offered me is built in 2004.
When I looked through some of the threads, I found a remark that the cheapest newer Burny models are built in China now, but I have no idea if that means anything for their quality. I would guess that those ones have a bolt-on neck for example. Generally EUR 900,- is a lot of money already, and it should be possible to find a Tokai Love Rock on ebay for that price, too. But of course I don't know if you would buy such a guitar...

I was looking for a Love Rock on eBay as well, but at the moment there is also just a 2004 Tokai on eBay and the dealer offering the Burny said it would be as good quality or better (he's quite fair, already bought there). The guitar is Japan made (http://www.fernandes.co.jp/g_b/BurnyClassics/index.html) and looks quite nice. You can have a look here: http://www.realguitars.de/git/bu2.JPG

If you are also interested in Japanese guitars, do you have a good source for these in Germany?

so long...
Martin

P.S.: Is this forum always so "uninternational" during daytime cet ? ;-)

StarF666 said:
The guitar is Japan made http://www.fernandes.co.jp/g_b/BurnyClassics/index.html and looks quite nice. You can have a look here: http://www.realguitars.de/git/bu2.JPG
Looks a lot like my Tokai LS 60, do you know if it has a veneer or a solid flamed maple top (then it should be more expensive) and how many pieces for the mahogany body (1 or 2)? Which pickups? (OK, just saw the specs on the Fernandes site: VH-1 type.) How much is 90.000 Yen in EUR? Does it come with a case (25.000 Yen extra, it seems)?

If you are also interested in Japanese guitars, do you have a good source for these in Germany?
No, I also wonder what I would do if I wanted to buy another Tokai in Germany besides bidding on ebay or digging through web site ads. Ordering directly in Japan or from a private Japanese seller (if he sells outside Japan) seems to be the best bet, but I really would like to play any guitar before I buy it, so... :-?

P.S.: Is this forum always so "uninternational" during daytime cet ? ;-)
Yes, the asian visitors have already gone to bed, and the ones from the U.S. didn't get up yet. "Sleepy Time Time..." I guess (just downloading this from the Cream 1968 Winterland bootleg) 8)

This is what the trader says on his site:

Burny RLG 90 / 59er LP Flametop Reissue / Faded Cherry Sunburst / Made in Japan / Honduras Mahagony Body & Neck /Solid Flamed Maple Top / Fat 59er Neckshape / Gotoh ABR Bridge/ Dies sind die mit Abstand besten LP Copies aus Japan !
2 & Aus meinem Privat Stock ! Neue und Ungespielte Sammlerst?cke !

As I said he's a fair guy and the specs should be right, so solid top. Fernandes homepage says 15mm top, also deep joint set-neck. The Fernandes homepage and the model number say 90,000 Yen new, dunno what this means in Euro. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of buying one of these. Pickups are the famous VH-1. It just can't be worse than the LP Studio GEM I played live this weekend. I am just not shure about the price...
I just googled and did some math. New price in Euro would be about 670,-?. But with shipping and tax the price is realistic (while not cheap). If just one of the insiders here come up with a statement like: Great guitar: buy it. But somehow they just say that about the old guitars (whatever brand).

By the way: Thank you for your help so far.
Martin

StarF666 said:
This is what the trader says on his site:
Solid Flamed Maple Top
Yes, I found that info on his site, too. If it's true, it's a very good price of course, especially with a case included. :wink:
How far is Leverkusen from you? Could you drive up there and check the pickup cavity, i.e. pull out the bridge pickup? This would also enable to check its sound and feel first. By the way, a '59 fat neck is not for everyone, but since you mentioned that you like Telecasters, it should be OK for you, I guess.

New Burnys don't have romboid motif as Gigbbo and Tokais had(now they have a Lys flower).Specifications would be similar to a Tokai priced at the same ans pickups could be on apar(altough some people here like VH=VINTAGE HUMBUCKER better against a MK-II)

the latest catalog I have does not mention Honduras mahogany, just mahogany. Not sure if thats important but many Japanese makers in that price range are using African mahogamy these days... and the ones I`ve seen are heavyier than the Honduras guitars I have. `course weight can vary tree to tree so. It is MIJ though but I`ve never played one.

The seller says it's Honduras on his website. He's in business for a while and has good guitar knowledge. He bought the guitars for his private collection.
@HJ: Leverkusen is a little far away as I am from Berlin. The neck should be no problem, I own a custom made Telecaster with a really fat neck, much bigger than that of my '52 reissue.
@luis: What motif are you talking about? Headstock?

StarF666 said:
@luis: What motif are you talking about? Headstock?
Yes, he probably means the headstock inlay, but I think the romboid motif is only used on Custom models, not on Standards. Anyhow, that wouldn't bother me, since that Burny logo is already quite prominent there.

Back