Help needed in Identifying year model of Tokia Silverstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSouvlaki

Reaction score
Hi guys Im new to this site and I love it very informative.

I was extremely luck to recently purchase a Tokia Silverstar serial number 3043173. The guy that sold it to me in Sydney Australia was a exchange student from Japan and the guitar was his personal. He said he was reluctant to sell but needed the money. He said it is all original and plays awsome.

I had it checked out by some mates that are collectors and they did some searching around and all agreed it was the real Mckoy!. the guy that sold it to me said it was a early 80 built model and copy of the early 70's strat. He said the guitar was never built for export from Japan.

My question is based on the serial number of the guitar, what year would it have been built?

Do I need to put pics of it on the forum?

Any assistance is really appreciated. I will not be selling this guitar but will add it to my collection with the other various makes and models I have collected over the years.

Thanks Guys.

BigSouvlaki

It has got a balck lettered logo,different like pre-82 silver strar has got(which is similar to springysound ones).Congrats on this score,SS necks are really good!

Thanks guys, so I assume its an early 80's built model.

what does "SS" stand for?

I have taken some pics of the Tokai and done placed on my homepage which I dont use. I will leave them there for a while to enable you guys to view them, sorry for the quality I have a crap camera, but it should give you an idea of what the guitar looks like.

Could this guitar be seen as a collectable in years to come?

Look forward in hearing from you.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~kinggatzy/ Bigsouvlaki

Luis and Glide thank you guys I appreciate very much the feedback.

I am happy with this unit I bought. I played it through my Fender Twin Reverb Valve Head Amp connected to Vox Speakers, and the sound is just awsome it and pumps hard. It actually sounds fantastic without being put through the amp.

My mate who is a Total Guitar NUT! :roll: :lol: (Top Guy and switched on) was amazed at the guitar, as we compared it to his Fender Strat Plus, the SRVs, a few of the 60's Fenders that he has, and The Tokai was up there with them, I must admit he was very impressed, also being a collector of guitars and he has a huge inventory worth mega bucks, he is now targeting the Tokais so guys let us know of any bargains flying around.

But on a final note the only Guitar that beat them all was the Noyce! made in Australia and custom built for my mate, this thing is wicked.

Again thanks heaps.

BigSouvlaki

Hi BigSouvlaki,

The SilverStars' collectability will depend on the finish and the model.
Certain colours are more desirable than others and the model will determine the hardware and pickup options.
Your Japanese friend was correct about the model not being exported - I worked for the Tokai Importer for Australia and we were never offered this guitar for distribution.
The headstock logo should have the 'script' logo meaning the 'Tokai'
logo instead of the '7okai' style.
The body stamps will alos determine the finish and model

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks for the info Pete.

Where do we find the body stamps?

the Head has the Tokia as you say.

I am wrapped with this beauty. This baby puts the 70 strats to shame as I have since compared it to a mates original 71 stat. No comparison.

This Tokai is my baby! I do not plan to do anything, just change strings from time to time.

One more question are the GoldStar Tokais worth looking at? such as a 1984 model?

Regards

BigSouvlaki

Well I?m not Peter, but maybe chip in here anyway ? first I don?t see any photos of the guitar, so it?s hard to know which guitar & which decal we?re talking about, added to which the Silverstars are generally not so well known, & not known very well to me either.

After 1982 most Tokai Fender copies did not have a proper serial number, instead they just have a number stamped on neckplate to identify the model. The SS is a bit different, because the number is transferred on the headstock and the 7-digit format is similar to the Gibson copies, & on the Gibsons it does give the date ? in which case your SN would indicate 1983.

Are the Goldstars worth looking at? Yes the Goldstars are copies of 1950?s & 1960?s Strats, really just a name-change from the early Springy-sound ? these are by far the most popular Tokai Strat copies & also the most sought-after by collectors & players. Almost everyone selling a Goldstar says it's 1984, because that's the earliest date which might fit with their decal - they're trying to make the guitar seem more collectable & more valuable - but really they have no idea what the date is.

?Body stamps? are in the neck pocket & pickup cavities ? you need to remove the pickguard & pickups, and/or remove the neck. The stamps give codes for the finish colours eg BB=black, and may also give the model number & other info.

Ian.

Hi Big Sav & Ian

sorry for the confusion caused....
OK, the logo for the '83 should be Script (Tokai), not spagetti (7okai)
and you say it is - that much we can determine.
We know the serial# is on the headstock and there is a 3-bolt neck which works better than Fenders effort.
As Ian has said, the stamps for the model appear in the route cavity under the pickups and should read something like 9=12 BB, The base of the neck should also have a similar stamp but without the colour code (BB) This will tell you the guitar is original body and neck if both codes match. Also the pickup wire colours varyed from model to model so this can determine type of SilverStar you own.

By the way, what colour is your baby?

As far as the Goldstar goes, these are very similar to the Silverstar in construction and materials but the headstocks and pickups are different, so you could buy one to have a Pre-CBS and post-CBS style Strat.

- before anyone jumps on me i know there are a lot of minor differences between the actual models - I am only trying to point out the most obvious to the Sav -

regards
Peter Mac

Hey no ?jumping? from me lol :lol: . How goes it Peter, how?s the Tokai research &/or book coming along? :-?

Ian.

Hi Ian,

the book is painfully slow due to an excessive work load...at work.

Just when it seems that a chapter is finished, you guys at the forum find another inconsistancy to ponder.
If i ever get it finished it will definatly be a great piece of work due to the diligance of the Tokai forum members - that's for sure.
Stay well and i will continue to moniter posts.

regards
Peter Mac

Peter

I will be your Number 1 Fan if you write a book which will show me the way! :roll:

By the way you in sydney? feel like pulling down my SS and have a good look and give me the bad news! LMAO! nah it is all good she is the real deal. But would pull her down if need be. who do you recommend as being an artist and capable of performing such work, as she is my baby, she plays extremely well, puts the 70 starts real deals to shame and some of the 60's models. Keeps up with the others extremely well, such as the Custom Built Strats From Custom Shop, etc.

Cheers

Back