Limited editions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentoes

Reaction score
So here's the deal, i keep seeing these limited editions by Tokai pop up ever once in a while in the local classifieds and such. The custom editions seem to stand out as being different than standard model strat but these limited editions don't look much different than a Goldstar. Granted the pics tend to be crappy etc. So whats the deal with these guitars, i don't think there fakai's because i've never heard of limited editions being faked. Are they limited because they were like factory seconds or something ??? Did they use really cheap electronics in them or what ?? At the price they are going for i'm starting to get tempted. Are they worth $200 ?? Does anyone have any experience with them ????

Thanks

8yfh2a.jpg

Never seen one of those......

I think that you already know that the three 2001 Limited Edition Love Rock variations (from Mike's Music in Ontario) are purported to have been fakes out of Korea....

Thanks for the reply, the limited editions i'm interested in are all Strat type guitars and look older, possibly MIJ.

You mean like on here?

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18206&highlight=limited+edition

Yes, exactly like that but the ones i see around my parts almost always have the regular strat pickup configuration of s-s-s, the only ones i've seen with humbuckers are usually "custom editions", sometimes the "limited editions" can also have the big headstock like a silverstar also. I guess they were transitional models. I have a Tokai VX model with split coil humbuckers but it's a different animal altogether. These seem older. Also from time to time "super editions" also pop up but i'm not into floyd rose deals. I gave my VX model Tokai to my stepson because it suits his style of music more than my own.

Thanks for the link Chipps.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has one or who had one, It's sad but with the price of fuel i can't just go out and test drive guitars like i used to.

Ahah, here's the link I was looking for.

I was going to add. I do own one - here's the link: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17533&highlight=

I think they're great guitars. I wasn't too keen on the painted neck, but it's no different from my PRS... There was a Seymour Duncan 'bucker in there when I got it, so I added a second Seymour and then a coil-splitting five way switch (for Big Apple switching). I think it's wonderful. Nice to play (though mine had a really radiused fretboard - 7in or so, which I had to change) and it looks a little different...

But there aren't many fans on here :)
All the more for us, then!

I'm wondering if only the necks are actual tokai, I would doubt anything from the eighties would be in "mint condition" however you never know. I suppose i could ask for inside the pickup cavity shots, there should be some codes in there if its a genuine Tokai. I'm not in a rush to get one of these because Christmas is coming up and i'm pretty much broke after buying a LS-150 & a ATE-65 pretty much back to back :roll: but i have to admit when i see these from time to time i always wonder how good they might be. No shipping, no taxes or duty, just the $800 worth of gas to get across town and back. lol :evil:

Here's some examples

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Tokai-Guitar-W0QQAdIdZ334452660

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-TOKAI-Limited-edition-Sky-Blue-w-Pearl-pick-guard-3-pick-ups-W0QQAdIdZ323213033

Hmm... I'm not entirely sure about those ones... I'd probably want a bit more of a pickguard-off shot and a closer look. I've (so far) only seen the painted neck Limiteds. but one of the experts on here might know more.

And quit yer whingeing about the price of gas. It's still virtually free over there... :p

Seriously -we think we have it bad. I was in Turkey on business in October and it was the equivalent of $2.35/litre there!!! At that price it'd be cheaper to hire someone to PUSH my car where I needed to go!

Jason

Hey i know we got it good, i have to complain about something lol, i just find the jump in gas prices these last few years to be a bit staggering, we are an oil rich country, you'd think it would be a little cheaper. Nobody's forcing me to drive though so i'll just shut up :lol:

I just worked out that we're on $2.18 a litre, so you don't need to go to Turkey for expensive petrol.

We'd better all stay home and play guitar then. Not a bad thing... :)

BY the type of tuners and the 36 on the neck suggests cheaper components and mostly humbuckers. i think these were models before they they went into the pointy headstock custom editions.

I included a couple in my Tokai Strat book but it would be good to understand the difference in all these models too.

Iain

That's my White Limited in the above link, Chipps and myself have already stated we are big fans.

The timing of this post is irionic as I am about to post pictures in the next couple of days from a 1984 Super Edition catologue in which the Limited Edtions first appear.

Like Iain I think of these as LE36 models though they were designated TST36H for the two humbucker version. Three colours: White is TST36H-ASW, Black is TST36H-ABR, Metallic Red TST36H-AMR.
HSS models are known as TST36HS.

I have Goldstars, Supers and Limiteds. The Limiteds have a 7.25 radius 21 fret neck and in my opinion are painted Goldstars.

TST36H-ASW
DSCN0598.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

Lifeline, that's really useful on the model numbers. Be good to know the spec difference between special and limited editions. Assuming Super editions are ones with Ayers rocker (saying this without checking out the catalogues)

brokentoes said:
Hey i know we got it good, i have to complain about something lol, i just find the jump in gas prices these last few years to be a bit staggering, we are an oil rich country, you'd think it would be a little cheaper. Nobody's forcing me to drive though so i'll just shut up :lol:

$1.40 per litre in Australia, but has been up to $1.75 and down to $1.10 in recent memory.

With our sprawling cities and lack of public transport infrastructure investment I expect you are forced to drive though?

Luckily, I'm not forced to drive to work, but that's only due to the fact that I can't afford to buy a house in any useful location, so I'm free to rent places close to where I need to be. There are many people doing low paid jobs over here who live miles away from where they work, have high fuel costs, and pay $70 per week for parking. I really wonder how long it can all keep going.

Apologies for the hijack.

No problem JVsearch fuel is a major concern to all these days, at ?1.38 a litre in the UK 68p goes to the Govt in tax duties!

This early Limited Edition had 15 bids,recently sold for $546 USD so maybe people are getting wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1980s-TOKAI-LIMITED-EDITION-HH-STRAT-STYLE-GUITAR-MIJ-NICE-NO-RESERVE-/270846864333?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0fbb2bcd

Latest posts

Back