1986 EG-500 Goldtop any good? I consider buying online help!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordon

Reaction score
Hi I am looking into buying a Greco 57 Goldtop style Les Paul.
Has the inked serial with a 6 in the beginning.
Headstock has only Greco written on it.
2 screw bell cover, if that matters.
I assume it is a 1986 model.

Are these later Grecos any good? I am looking for a workhorse, I am not a collector.

I have found a very lo res scan of a greco catalogue of 1986 and it seems they were really down to just 4 different EG models, a 50.000 Yen Tag in 1986 is not too much.

So is anyone familiar with these? where were they made?

Help is appreciated, I have g.a.s.

Gordon

Gordon.. pics would help if you can post a link to them. I have a 1982 Greco '57 gold top reissue that is one of my most prized LP's. So you may have something there.. hard to say without photos.

I took a chance here and bought. Will post pics when she's here. Unlike so many other guitars you see on the net, this has been played, as I can tell from the pics. So I hope it sounds as ood as it looks. Guitar is said to have Double Trick pickups. Do you know where they stand soundwise?
Gordon

As far as I know there's no 57 model in 1986, Greco thinned out their line in 1985, but who knows.. could you post a link to the mentioned catalog?
There's 2 goldtops left in 1985; EG59-50 & EG59-60, the latter has P90s, the first should have Screamin pups. Double Tricks are normally one step up and spec'd on 1984 EG59-70 & 85. They measure around 7.4-5 neck, 8.4-5 bridge. Screamin's measure 7.5-7neck, 7.6-8 bridge.

That's the 1985 catalog I just mentioned above, yours is the EG59-50, it has the 500 sticker..

Okay thanks got it! I was getting confused with EG-500 vs. EG59-50 and so on.
I will let you how she plays when I get her.
Gordon

Gordon.. looked at your pics.. that's an EG57-50. Should have Screamin pickups or maybe just unlabeled Gotoh humbuckers. Either way.. looks to be a nice LP. Very similar to my '82 model. Mine has a big beefy neck profile and is one of the nicest Greco's I've owned. Congrats.

Okay I just briefly plugged her into my Rivera R-30.
Instant smile on my face.
Beefy neck, kick *** sound, but very articulated, open sounding.
All I was looking for in my 1990 Gibbo before I sold it years ago.
This is a keeper. Needs some setup work.
Pics will follow.

Happy Gordon

I took a chance on the Greco and took her out for a gig on Saturday.

Stayed in tune just fine, great sounding, cool looks, what can I say!
She will get an aluminum stoptail and the she's good to keep going.

Gordon

384418_238103789589703_115293285204088_605607_1776545386_n.jpg

jacco said:
According to the catalogs there's no 57 model in 1985 fiftywatt

sam06.jpg

Tiny sized jpeg but clearly a 57 gold top shown on this page of
the 1985 catalog. Others here with way more knowledge than me
will tell you that Greco made plenty of things that don't show up
in a catalog. Case in point.. my 1987 EG68-70.. LP Custom
style in cherry red with flame veneer top. Seen a few of
these over the years.

fiftywatt said:
Others here with way more knowledge than me
in a catalog.
Very true.

---> gordon
Any video of your gig? :)

fiftywatt said:
jacco said:
According to the catalogs there's no 57 model in 1985 fiftywatt

sam06.jpg

Tiny sized jpeg but clearly a 57 gold top shown on this page of
the 1985 catalog. Others here with way more knowledge than me
in a catalog. Case in point.. my 1987 EG68-70.. LP Custom
style in cherry red with flame veneer top. Seen a few of
these over the years.

:roll:
Where you can't see what it says besides the named GT, I can, it says EG59-50, NOT 57-50, so it's a 59 model according to Greco. That was my point. I can't show it here for I'm a Vintaxe member and catalogs may not be copied and used elsewhere. But you can check it for yourself if you would like to.
Also your EGC68-70 can be found in the catalogs as a EGC68-50 in VS finish = vintage sunburst. And yes Greco had off catalog models, these are not though.

Others here with way more knowledge than me
in a catalog.[/quote]

you are absolutely correct... no condescending rolling of the eyes from me... and it isn`t just here...it`s at other sites I visit too... nor is it is just Greco, it is the case with many Japanese builders. If we take Fender Japan as an example, they did and still do runs for chain stores and they had one offs for customers so theres a lot of stuff out there that`s not in catalogues, and remember...most people overseas evidently think what they see on line is all thats available in Japan, there are a lot of small mom and pop used gear shops in the country that do not advertise on line therefore there is a lot of stuff that goes unseen abroad. What is seen is just a part of what we in Japan have access to.

sneakyjapan said:
you are absolutely correct... no condescending rolling of the eyes from me... and it isn`t just here...it`s at other sites I visit too... nor is it is just Greco, it is the case with many Japanese builders. If we take Fender Japan as an example, they did and still do runs for chain stores and they had one offs for customers so theres a lot of stuff out there that`s not in catalogues, and remember...most people overseas evidently think what they see on line is all thats available in Japan, there are a lot of small mom and pop used gear shops in the country that do not advertise on line therefore there is a lot of stuff that goes unseen abroad. What is seen is just a part of what we in Japan have access to.

No lengthy derailing monologs from me at every opportunity I can take, suggesting over and over again that people not living in Japan do know nothing about MIJ on a 99.9% non Japanese forum (condescending?) and thus appointing myself as the one that is important here without ever being able to contribute to the questions that are asked. No not me, I only try to help out people and give direct answers.

I think you should consider stand up comedy as a career choice because that last post...pure genius. Get an agent and see if he can`t book you at Juste Pour Rire...they`d love your act...very funny stuff...thanks for the laugh of the day, enjoyed it very much.

Indeed it is and I wasn`t kidding. Joy to the world and all that crap. And I just finished a cup of that. How do you like yours?... I take mine with just a little honey, no milk.

Back