Heerby sa-700 ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both have the same build quality imo. There's small differences in wood used; still a 3P maple neck for the Greco fi. Looking at value also about the same but for different reasons; the 1979 Greco headstock doesn't get much love, Heerby is a sleeper brand.

Thanks for your help, Jacco. I'll let you know my final choice, and plan for a NDG when she arrives... :D

Dany

I had one of those- identical to the picture. It had one of the sweetest necks i ever played- fret-edge bound too. The centre-block wasn't like a 335 supposed to be though- didn't really 'meet' the top of the body, so it was more like a hollow body. nice guitar though.

Hi toweysan, sounds interesting... Would you explain some more? Is the top of the body "floating" upon center-block? Is it then set with the neck and back ?

hard to describe really. not quite floating, more like resting. The centre block itself was a block of grooved plywood, not like on a 335. Would be interested to see pics of yours to see if its similar.

The centre block itself was a block of grooved plywood, not like on a 335

Really? In the only doc I found they say it's mahogany as neck. I'm curious...
I'll post a few pictures when I get the guitar. I Plan to set her a couple of Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday, so I'll have a look inside and tell here.

Yes, it's here ; I'll try to write here about it this week end. But I already changed the PU for a Bare Knuckle set and I can confirm what you said about the construction. I took a few pictures that I plan to share here.
In any case the result is a very pleasant guitar, very good neck, playability and sound ; a real blues machine, a great couple with my home-made Blackface Princeton... :D

jacco said:
Very high quality guitars, Kasuga made. Kasuga produced the early Navigators too. If you don't buy it, I will :wink:

Mmm I wonder where you got that theory/revelation from? :wink:

That actually looks like an SA-900.
The SA-700's were plain topped and the 900's were figured.

I too have a SA-900BS

6212676511_ea3cbc273c_b.jpg

6213198824_34bc76f531_b.jpg

Mmm I wonder where you got that theory/revelation from? :wink:

What do you mean, please explain some more?
That actually looks like an SA-900.
The SA-700's were plain topped and the 900's were figured.
I too have a SA-900BS
Did you have a look on this catalog?
http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/heerby/197x/en_p0506.html
It seems that the PU are PL-107 on SA-900 instead of PL-103 ; picture shows SA-900 with dots on the fingerboard too, instead of block inlays.
No sticker or precise indication inside mine, so it'hard to know.
By the way, yours looks very nice in that color.

toweysan said:
I had one of those- identical to the picture. It had one of the sweetest necks i ever played- fret-edge bound too. The centre-block wasn't like a 335 supposed to be though- didn't really 'meet' the top of the body, so it was more like a hollow body. nice guitar though.

hard to describe really. not quite floating, more like resting. The centre block itself was a block of grooved plywood, not like on a 335. Would be interested to see pics of yours to see if its similar.

It is, in fact, here are some pictures. The block is in two parts: first part includes the neck pu then there is a gap and the bridge pu is floating like on a full hollow. Then, the block is there again to support the tailpiece and bridge screws. I was surprised to find no insert for this one. here are some pictures.

[/img]

Here you can see what you call "grooved plywood" on the back side; same is on the top. I suppose its function is to help to "mold" the back and top plywood.

Any questions or comments welcome. :)

Well Jacco gets his feathers all in a bunch if people prove his theories wrong but I found it humorous that he made this claim as though it was written in stone via...who knows, his own findings?

JDB on the other forum posts a NGD for an early 1980's Navigator LP.
When he took a shot of the pickup cavity I immediately recognized it as being identical to my 80 Heerby and called it as such.
I.E. either routed after finishing the guitar or masking off the cavity prior to.
The route plunges were the same off centre hand made/jigged shape as well.
Also the pups were the same "S" stamped model.

So I posted a few pics of the cavity, pups, front, back etc and came to the realization that is was very plausible that Kasuga was making their higher end Heerby's and also subletting work out for ESP as well.

Regarding the catalogue, look here and you will see the 700's are a plain top with blocks and the 900's are flamed with the same blocks.
Are yours real abalone/MOP?

heerby101.jpg

Udonitron said:
Well Jacco gets his feathers all in a bunch if people prove his theories wrong but I found it humorous that he made this claim as though it was written in stone via his own findings.

Where did I claim what?
Oh man, if you say something like that than please explain what you mean and give examples, this is so low.

Oh please...not falling for your usual trap.
You do this all the time at the other place as well.
What I said was low you say...is it as low as the PM's you just sent me acting like a 5 year old?
You need to drop the fa?ade, really.

Back