Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No more Tokai?s?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson did real good on this model (the Tribute 50's Les Paul) - I really like this guitar - fun to play and sounds great. I too really dig a satin finish - especially on a plaintop.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of that plaintop, simple and elegant.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:

Certainly not Gibsons intention to make a simple & elegant plaintop guitar, it was all about making the cheapest guitar possible...some of them have 5 piece bodies.
Not sure what the "50's Tribute" means, the guitar has no body binding, no neck binding, what's "50's" about it?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond wrote:
brokentoes wrote:

Certainly not Gibsons intention to make a simple & elegant plaintop guitar, it was all about making the cheapest guitar possible...some of them have 5 piece bodies.
Not sure what the "50's Tribute" means, the guitar has no body binding, no neck binding, what's "50's" about it?

It's a tribute... not a reissue. Fat 50's neck, solid top, nitro, 50's P90's, orange drops, 17 degree neck angle, etc

They did do these as budget guitars and they knock the socks off of their standards.... make the Epi's look like crap too. I don't own many Gibsons but I couldn't recommend these more highly if you are interested in how they feel, play and sound.... if your just interested in cork sniffing, it's not for you - you should go for the overpriced historics. To me, the most important factor of any guitar is what comes through the amp at a gig.
JuniorEnthousiast
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
[...] To me, the most important factor of any guitar is what comes through the amp at a gig.

+ a whole lot!
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Tokai have matte finish plain top LS models? In the catalog vol.25, only the quilt and flame come in MVF.
singemonkey
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond wrote:
brokentoes wrote:
i wonder what will happen now that Gibson was raided and all of it's wood seized by the U.S. Gov't.

They'll introduce a new model with a mahogany fretboard...Henry will call it the "Fish & Wildlife" series...or maybe the "Swat Team" model.

Of course it will be a limited edition collectors series, only 500,000 of them to be made.

Also, the Gibson, "Tea-Party" Les Paul. Incredibly poor finishing and set-up will be advertised as a feature because:

* it's "all US made, including all parts and woods (lodgepole pine back and neck)"

* you shouldn't rely on the big boys to "subsidise" the finish and setting up, you must rely on your own two hands like the pioneers did.

It will also have a quote on the headstock from the Declaration of Independence, attributing it to the US constitution.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I only have one Gibson guitar at present, I will always love Gibson - they created the LP (and a few other nice models as well).

Sure, I don't like some of the stuff that the company does these days, but you can blame that on various things that prevail in modern life, not just Henry or the company in general.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
AlanN
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Diamond wrote:
brokentoes wrote:

It's a tribute... not a reissue. Fat 50's neck, solid top, nitro, 50's P90's, orange drops, 17 degree neck angle, etc

They did do these as budget guitars and they knock the socks off of their standards.... make the Epi's look like crap too. I don't own many Gibsons but I couldn't recommend these more highly if you are interested in how they feel, play and sound.... if your just interested in cork sniffing, it's not for you - you should go for the overpriced historics. To me, the most important factor of any guitar is what comes through the amp at a gig.

Bit unfair that, Marcus - almost reverse snobbery. You know I owned (and was bitterly disappointed in) a tribute, and sent it back; since then I've tried every single one I could get my hands on over here - always having in mind that "Marcus found a keeper, there must be one out there!".

Needless to say I'm still looking. They've ranged from average (and therefore overpriced, especially up against stuff like the PRS SE SCs for less money) to utterly awful. The P90s are fantastic, I agree, but I'd say that to me the most important factor of any guitar is how it plays at a gig. The sound is infinitely more tweakable.

YMMV of course.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you can get a very average guitar to sound good at a gig, but an average guitar in the hands of a highly skilled guitarist will feel sub par, it will annoy him.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand...a high quality guitar in the hands of a sub par player...like me...will not annoy him. His ability might but not the guitar.
Diamond
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
On the other hand...a high quality guitar in the hands of a sub par player...like me...will not annoy him. His ability might but not the guitar.

True, I'm the king of the sub par guitarists...I can make a Tokai LS160 sound like an Epiphone.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanN wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:
Diamond wrote:
brokentoes wrote:

Bit unfair that, Marcus - almost reverse snobbery. You know I owned (and was bitterly disappointed in) a tribute, and sent it back; since then I've tried every single one I could get my hands on over here - always having in mind that "Marcus found a keeper, there must be one out there!".

Needless to say I'm still looking. They've ranged from average (and therefore overpriced, especially up against stuff like the PRS SE SCs for less money) to utterly awful. The P90s are fantastic, I agree, but I'd say that to me the most important factor of any guitar is how it plays at a gig. The sound is infinitely more tweakable.

YMMV of course.

Since I got it, went with a full Faber set up.....locking alum tailpiece / studs (top wrap), ABR bridge with brass saddles and lock down posts/collars, Kluson tuners from RS Guitarworks.... kind of icing on the cake because like you said, I think I got a good one to start with. I won't sell this guitar - in fact, since I got it, I've unloaded a Tokai 56 Goldtop P90 and an Epi Limited Lacquer LP Special because tone AND playing wise (weight, neck profile, frets), it's become my go to P90 Les Paul. You are absolutely correct that tone can be dialed in .... playability can't. Major oversight in my comment.

Keep looking at them Alan... you'll find one you like. I don't know if when they were built has anything to do with it. The first batch that came out of Nashville before the flood shut down production was when I first became aware of them..... friend of mine has one and it has a two piece center joined body.... plays like a dream and I had to have one. Three of us put in a backorder with a manager at Guitar Center before they were able to start production again on them.... waited a couple months.... and we got the first batch of the new production run.... two goldtops and my honeyburst (which has a 3 piece back). Out of the three guitars, mine had a larger neck profile (which I like), one of the gold tops had a two piece center join body, the other was a two piece with the seam near the pots. Here's the day we unwrapped them:

carl300367
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond wrote:
sneakyjapan wrote:

True, I'm the king of the sub par guitarists...I can make a Tokai LS160 sound like an Epiphone.

i could make it sound like a Hondo II
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: