My # 1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Emiel said:
spikeymikey said:
Cheers Em., what ones are you going for?

Mike, I'm glad that I didn't came over the UK to have a look at your lovely LS-80. It belongs to you :)

Are you saying you swapped magnets in your bass pickup??

I'm looking at either Shed PAF Daddy or OX4 PAF pickups. But I first need the cash before ordering of course!

Thanx Em - you'd have prolly walked away with it if you had!!

Ive heard good things about both of those makes.

And yes I swapped the magnets in the originals and flipped the bass one to get it back in phase with the Duncan.

Jacco - you asked about the make - heres some shots of that pickup. Is it a Gotoh do you know?

Also a photo taken before the change:

imgp5477.jpg

imgp5475.jpg

imgp5478q.jpg

imgp5370.jpg

jacco said:
spikeymikey said:
Did the "Reborn Old" series have the number impressed?

Not very likely. They probably stopped doing that with the start of Reborn Old:
The last Reborn I've documented is 0007430 and the first Reborn Old I've documented is 0007503. The 0007503 doesn't have the model impressed in the fingerboard. I don't have enough pics of 0007430 to make out what they did there, 0007400 though does have the model impressed in the fingerboard for sure.

Sorry for dragging this up from earlier, but I thought Jacco would appreciate an update to his records ;)

Jac, your range is out by a long way - the LS80 Emiel bought from me, which he posted pics of just before you posted this, is a Reborn old, 0008688, with 80 stamped at the end of the fingerboard.

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

AlanN said:
jacco said:
spikeymikey said:
Did the "Reborn Old" series have the number impressed?

Not very likely. They probably stopped doing that with the start of Reborn Old:
The last Reborn I've documented is 0007430 and the first Reborn Old I've documented is 0007503. The 0007503 doesn't have the model impressed in the fingerboard. I don't have enough pics of 0007430 to make out what they did there, 0007400 though does have the model impressed in the fingerboard for sure.

Sorry for dragging this up from earlier, but I thought Jacco would appreciate an update to his records ;)

Jac, your range is out by a long way - the LS80 Emiel bought from me, which he posted pics of just before you posted this, is a Reborn old, 0008688, with 80 stamped at the end of the fingerboard.

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

Thanks Alan. Yes I know, I found out the 0007503 did have the model number impressed on the fretboard after all. The lastest one I have found is a LS120, SN 0008919.
I have it all covered here:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18721&start=30

Here's a shot of the old 1964 "Elpico" 10 watter sprayed metallic purple, set up at "Ronnies" bar and ready to go.

imgp5401.jpg

These little amps are pretty good for the money if you can find one. :D

Nice Mike. I'm quite fond of old amps but never heard of Elpico. Do you know where they were made?

I made the 'Marshall' cab from MDF and some old grill-cloth from a '60's Selmer "Constellation" amp that someone trashed. The "Marshall" script is vintage too - from a late sixties JMP I think?

The "Elpico" (in Spanish "The Little One") was made by 'Lee Products' in London from the late '50's till the mid '70's I think?. With a bit of work it sounds a bit like a Vox AC10. This one, a '64 has a circuit board but the early ones were hardwired throughout.

McCartney used one with the Beatles early on but in the green/cream cabinet combo version. He still has it today.

I got this one off ebay, sprayed the 'orrible grey box purple, added some chickenhead knobs and tweaked it a bit for guitar as its a PA amp primarily. Added 'middle' instead of the 'gram/mic' input and some extra treble.

I think.....3x ECC83, 2xEL84, 1xEZ81? I think it's class 'A' and tube rectified anyway.

It's an AC88 and the circuit is a lot like an old Vox, and I think the first of these pre-dates the Vox amps? Take out the vib/trem circuit and the top-boost out of a Vox and you're left with one of these.

Nice clean but not much clean with a great crunch and distortion. Better with a P90 than a Humbucker IMO.

Interesting thread, on my goldtop you can see a tigerstripe under the gold layer, I always wondered if it had a flamed/tiger maple top underneith. Reading the first post in this thread makes me wonder even more..

Get busy with the paint-stripper and blowtorch!! :wink:

Glad you kept the GT, I think you made the right decision!

Ziltoid you may just have one just like mine.
Hmm amps now huh Mikey perhaps we should all post our # 1.
Can anyone say Plexi? ;)

The one and only

Latest posts

Back