My # 1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My all time N?1 !

mo1.jpg

Sorry Mark for stealing your pic but I missed the flames on mine :wink:

Yes Jacco,OBG.Not that difficult to guess as I only own 3 guitars...what a shame :oops: :wink:

Welcome to this forum Thomas!
There are rumours that there's a contender for the first place on it's way to you. Are they true? :wink:

At last! That's stunning Mike, love the flame, much better than on mine. I know you have had it for quite a while but it still feels like congrats are in order.

Wow, that is just very very nice, Mikey. Great looker! I especially like the mix of plain and flame top just above the tailpiece/bridge.

After hearing your reports on the change of pickups, I hope I can get some nice PAFs soon :)

Phantom said:
The Phantom needs this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!

Well, he ain't gonna get it! Even my Wife has forbade me to sell it. I've been offered big bucks for it down the local recently too from a couple of people and being rather skint right now some of the offers have been pretty tempting.

I've finally got it back here in France and for the first time Ive been able to compare it closely to my '64 SG Junior. It actually plays better than the Junior which really surprised me as I always felt it was the other way around? Maybe its just because Ive been playing the Reborn for the past 3 months, I'm not sure? Also the weight bothered me at one time - it's 9.25 lbs but with the "No1 Stretch Strap" recommended to me by Mr.Tom Wittrock that is no longer a problem and I can play a 2 hour+ session with it easily. Thats one thing that has really got me back into playing this guitar.

And it sounds superb and has garnered many a complement recently when aired in public. You know the tone Kossoff has on Free's "Alright Now" - that tone exactly. It cuts through a loud house band really well and, as I mentioned before the bass pickup sans the capactior is a particularly beautiful tone - fat and bloomy with a crisp edge that it never had before which also cuts through well. Swapping out the magnets might have contributed to this also, I'm not sure? I'm only an average player but it manages this through a crappy early '60's Elpico 10 watt PA amp that I've been forced to use lately as my Cornell Plexi is in France. I'm anticipating somethin' good when I plug it into that later today.

Nope, sorry Phanty, it's stayin!! :wink:

And I dont think ya do need it anyway - that one of yours is amazing looking and sounds incredible!!

jacco said:
At last! That's stunning Mike, love the flame, much better than on mine. I know you have had it for quite a while but it still feels like congrats are in order.

Thanx J., coming from you thats a real big compliment! :wink:

I'm going to install the tailpiece you sent me today - just found it here yesterday and it looks great. so light too!!

Thanks mate!!

Emiel said:
Wow, that is just very very nice, Mikey. Great looker! I especially like the mix of plain and flame top just above the tailpiece/bridge.

After hearing your reports on the change of pickups, I hope I can get some nice PAFs soon :)

Cheers Em., what ones are you going for?

spikeymikey said:
Cheers Em., what ones are you going for?

Mike, I'm glad that I didn't came over the UK to have a look at your lovely LS-80. It belongs to you :)

Are you saying you swapped magnets in your bass pickup??

I'm looking at either Shed PAF Daddy or OX4 PAF pickups. But I first need the cash before ordering of course!

Lol when is enough enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Great guitar.
The Phantom does not need more guitars.
My number 1 has been my number 1 since the 80's.
It even makes a bad pickup sound good.
9.25 lbs is a little over but I do have 1 or 2 that are that weight
and still sound really good.
The flame is exceptional on your particular # 1
Something I'm starting to notice.
I'm starting to be able to actually hear how many LS 80's sound alike.
The have a particular sound. Different than my 50's or 60's.
I'm sure your LS80 sounds great. One thing I noticed with my LS80 as well was that those particular pickups sounded better than most Tokai's I own.
Long awaited and worth the wait Mikey.
As we say in Canada, "Way to go eh!

Phantom

Latest posts

Back