Post your Tokai bass pics, please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0307.jpg

Recently bought, 1981 Tokai VSB80, all stock, fantastic build quality, outplays and out performs my old '74 Precision hands down (IMO). I put the 74 on ebay with the idea of selling it and replacing with the Tokai - but no takers! May have to reconsider if I can't unload the Fender, would prefer to keep the Tokai!

Great looking bass!

I have a red VSB60 (it's in this thread somewhere) and I like it a lot.
It does have a biiig neck but I've grown to like it :)

z

My new toy:
1982 Tokai JB-85 FL BL: you don't see a lot of this! :wink:
PICT8492.jpg

PICT8494.jpg

PICT8495.jpg

PICT8496.jpg

PICT8497.jpg

PICT8499.jpg

PICT8498.jpg

PICT8500.jpg

Lightweight, with a tight sound.
This is my 1st fretless, but the neck is really a dream to play: thin profile, smooth lacquer feeling and a beautiful rosewood (or Jacaranda?:eek: ) fretboard.
The see through blond finish is really well made and has faded into a cream color.
The wood seems to be the same as my 1982 PB-80. Perhaps alder?

Wow! That's a beauty DDB - really :eek: !

I didn't even know that they made a JB85 FL in that colour. I've only ever seen the sunburst (Jaco :wink: ) ones.

Anyway, take good care of it and congratulations.

thanks Andy.
i imported this bass a month ago from Japan. It was a nice deal! 8)

The JB-85 FL was available in 3 colors: Yellow sunburst, metallic red and blond like this one.
it was listed in that german catalog from the early 80's:
http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/oldies_p6.jpg.

I think that i'll add a tortoise pickguard with double sided tape (i don't want to make any holes on that rare bass!).

so, do you want to sold your black Jazz Sound? Perhaps, to buy a lightweight Hard Puncher?:wink:

Blues brothers...

My original Tokai Jazz bought new nearly 30 years ago and his recently aquired brother from ebay!

bass2.jpg

bass3.jpg

bass4.jpg

Hoping the photo links work. Bass on the left is L13359, on the right is L13456. Interesting that the Tokai logo is different. Does anyone know when this changed?

Dave[/img]

TOKAI spaghetti logo changed approximately in 1983 for this block design.
So you have the same bass model from two different years: a 1983 and a 1984-85 jazz sound! :p
The block logo was used only one year, and they are quite rare compared to the 1984 logo.

394255_10150665864507052_687572051_9076355_1479113345_n.jpg

I'm looking for a Lefty Hardpuncher but they aren't easy to spot.

Meanwhile I'm having a lot of great moments with my Thunderbirds. These are made in China in 2008-2009 and rock a lot!

Hi guys, this is my first post... So hello from London!

Saw this in the window of a junk shop for NO money. Sounded terrible when I got it home, so I rewired it completely (with volume controls for both pups) and installed new pickups. It now plays and sound awesome.

An interesting thing about it... if you look closely at the logo, under the 'legal' Tokai logo is the outline of the old 'illegal' Tokai logo in the lacquer. As far as I can tell by researching old product catalogues, this was bass was released around '79-'82, so I'm wondering if the logos were switched in the factory at the time of the lawsuit dramas? Anyway, enjoy the pics!

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1074.jpg

Hello All,
think this is my first post, though I've been a lurker here for sometime :)

Here's my '84 Hard Puncher, not sure what model it is, maybe a PB40(?)
Had it for about twenty years. In that time had many basses come & go, but this has always remained in my collection. It's generally my go-to bass & probably my main one, when I need a bass with roundwounds (I have a MIJ '62 RI strung with flats for other tones)

I changed the stock pickup a long time ago for a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 'Vintage', added the tortoishell pickguard, recently fitted a John East P-Retro preamp (which is fantastic) & it's strung with DR nickel Lo-Riders.
Everything else is stock, though I've been thinking about replacing the tuners for last ten years.
The neck is fast, not far off a jazz bass width & with a deep U profile - similar to a 70's P-Bass, lovely to play. I've even had couple of folks with Lakland & Sadowsky basses compliment this old beauty on it's tone & feel. :D

Cheers
Nick

IMG_1625copy.jpg

Hi all guys I am new here, in the picture my small collections of jazzes, on the right my 'new' Tokai Jass Sound 1982 foam green, I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I am super happy with it! Better of many expensive jazzes I had in the past!

jazzes.jpg

Antonio

New forum member and proud new Tokai Hard Puncher owner! I rescued this one today from my local second-hand shop for ?17000 or about $190US. She's dirty but looks solid underneath the grime.

I've sucked up as much info as I could and am guessing she's a 1984 PB40???? Number on the neck plate is 107927 and there's a circular "40" sticker on the heel of the neck. Any help nailing it down would be appreciated! I'll be sure to post the "after" images of a long weekend of cleaning and adjusting to include what's under the pick guard. I'm so jazzed to find this forum and this guitar on the same day (and if this is the wrong place to post please let me know).

Tokai Hard Puncher PB40 by James JSlugman O'Rear, on Flickr

Wow, James! That's a really nice find - looks totally original to me (although I'm no expert on Hard Punchers) :D .

It reminds me of the P Bass that Sid Vicious used to wave around (and sometimes even play) during his brief stint with the Sex Pistols 8) .

I bought this beauty from a rental guy which supports No Means No during their european shows. This VSB-80 was used by Rob Wright during their 2013 show while his primary bass failed.

sn. 1016239
VSB-80 (1981?)
Modified pickups: Seymour Duncan
Roadworn by the one and only Mr. Rob Wright!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMAhqGyfb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnEeoSXT1SU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAq159_m4o4

1053372_473870722695041_1170184680_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back