Gotoh pickup of my LS50 reborn

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayfair

Reaction score
Hi every tokai , I am new member here.I have a LS50 reborn cherry sunburst . I want to change the pickup because the sound is too dark and too much bass. Is the sound of this pickup too much bass.

I have another Tokai . LS100 love paul 1980 . The sound is attractive . I think this is different between Gotoh and Di Marizo.

I haven't any link to many picts, Could I post the picts on web.

Have any ideas to change the pickup or the caps value??

Thank you

I love Tokai

my Tokai reborn LS50 (1979) & LS100 (1980)

01090008.jpg

01090007.jpg

01090005.jpg

I have tried Duncan SH-1 and Gibson 57 Classic to my Love Rocks. I prefer 57 Classic, which suits my '82 LS-60 very well. To give an edge to my sound, I tend to use Rangemaster-like treble boosters between Les Paul and Amp. It works very well for me..

mayfair said:
Have any ideas to change the pickup or the caps value??
Hi mayfair, an interesting question which I'm also testing at the moment with four different Tokai Love Rocks. I just found the original "Tokai '57 PAF model" pickups in my cellar again that my first LS 60 from 1984 came with. When measuring the impedance they both show a quite high value of 8.28 and 8.24 kOhms. While this can be OK for a bridge pickup, it's too high for the neck position where you would rather expect something around 7.0-7.5 kOhms. The original Gibsons also had rather similar values, by the way, so using a neck pickup with a lower value is a "modern" idea, but a good one actually, because it sounds too dark and muddy when having the same value as the bridge pickup.

I also have a single DiMarzio PAF from ~1979 in another guitar (Ibanez Musician) which sounds very good in the neck position. Maybe I'll swap it to one of my Tokai Love Rocks in the next days. The LS 60 has two Gibson Shaw PAFs from 1983 which sound very good, and the LS 120 has two Gibson P-94 single coils in humbucker size which fit to its dark rich sound quite well.

Before you start changing pickups, it's important to know how your guitars sound without an amp, because you can only change nuances with pickups and cannot get something back which wasn't there in the first place and/or get rid of something that will always be there.

The "cap value" doesn't change the sound if you turn the tone control to 10, only if you actually use its function and turn it down. It might be possible that you don't have 500k volume pots (maybe 300k) which would lose some treble, too, but again only in very small detail, nothing more.

Query -

Picked up a pair of Goto pups yesterday.

One is a Zebra coil with screw adjustment on both coils. The other is a double cream with same adjustment set up.

The bridge zebra has white, green, red wires and an earth.
The Neck cream has a white, red and earth

On the back plate, there is a stamped I.D. It states:

"Patent Applied For made by Goto"

Also, just to the left of the stamp ID is a small stamped capital "D".

Dont know what Im looking at so are these out of an early Tokai made by Dimarzio?

Latest posts

Back